Topic

For those who have handled 900 fill: How much is an ounce?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) For those who have handled 900 fill: How much is an ounce?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I have no questions about how much 900 fill it takes to make a certain temp rating and such. I'm just curious how much volume an ounce will occupy, roughly. Would fully lofted 900 fill fill up a 5 gallon bucket? More than that? Less?

Thanks.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

900 cubic inches.

Web search says a 5 gallon bucket is 1155 cubic inches. So, roughly a little less than that.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

900 cubic inches, so a box 9"x10"x10"

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Oh my, do I feel dumber than a post now! Don't fool around with sleep deprivation, kids….and if you do, do not post on a public forum as you will surely make a fool of yourself. Sheesh….

Anyways, thanks, you two.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ah, don't be too hard on yourself. I've met some pretty smart posts in my day.

LOL, I kid.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The important question is "how much does it weigh?"

Now you may think I am being a smart a$$, but my enLIGHTened Quilt lost weight a few a days after receiving it. Sounds incredible, right? However, I do know the reason why.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Nick, a high quality down item will gain weight and lose weight daily in small amounts due to humidity or lack thereof. It probably shows up most when you weigh it in an environment of one extreme or another, like in Palm Springs.

–B.G.–

xac kurush

@xackurush

It's not a stupid question!
    As you can see in the Wikipedia article about Fill Power http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fill_power , the loft is measured in a cylinder with a 68 grams weight on it. So, if you don't put the weight on it, the down will loft more than its specified value. Maybe it will fill the 5 gallon bucket ;)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Yeah, that's it. Construction in MN and almost zero humidity where I live the week it arrived.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Nick, once about thirty years ago I was wandering around through the back room at the Western Mountaineering factory in San Jose. The back room was sealed to prevent down from migrating around the store. They had a big transparent cylinder for measuring the down fill power, a big room thermometer, and a big humidity meter. If the conditions fell outside the standards, they changed the conditions.

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>They had a big transparent cylinder for measuring the down fill power, a big room thermometer, and a big humidity meter. If the conditions fell outside the standards, they changed the conditions.

Impressive QC!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Impressive QC!"

For thirty years ago, it was interesting. But then, Western Mountaineering has always had a very good reputation for its down sleeping bags.

–B.G.–

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

"It's not a stupid question! As you can see in the Wikipedia article about Fill Power http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fill_power , the loft is measured in a cylinder with a 68 grams weight on it. So, if you don't put the weight on it, the down will loft more than its specified value. Maybe it will fill the 5 gallon bucket ;)"

Yeah……yeah, I like the way you think, Xac!

Now, what's 1+1????

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools