Topic

YAST – Lightweight and easy to setup shelter wanted

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) YAST – Lightweight and easy to setup shelter wanted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Yet Another Shelter Thread

I'm looking to replace my MLD Grace Duo from the era when Ron only sold on Ebay.

I want something simple to set up that doesn't require any more stakes or guylines than I'm using now. I've ruled out hammocks, not because they aren't comfortable but because I don't want to have to set up two different pieces of gear. I know its a lazy reason… I've also ruled out the Zpacks Hexamid and similar shelters (Bearpaw Cub Den, etc) because they seem to require a lot of stakes and I don't want to have to crawl underneath the beak. I've had a beaked tarp and didn't like it.

Here are the options I'm looking at:
    Smallish flat tarp(5×9 or 6×9) and bivy. Can set it up lean-to or half pyramid style with 4 stakes and 2 guylines. Added bonus of having the bivy for cowboy camping. I like doing it but dew can be an issue, especially in the spring. Cheapest option since I have a MYOG poncho tarp I could use for now.
    Tarptent Notch. It seems the easy to set up and having the bug protection would be nice especially in Missouri. I've had bad experiences with condensation in single wall tents which is why the Notch is a little more appealing that other TT offerings. Being able to use just the fly in the early and late seasons is appealing as well.
    Pyramid shelter. Seems easy to set up and offers more protection than a small tarp. Also lighter and cheaper than the Notch. I'm leaning towards the MLD Solomid but don't like it when rain drips on my sleeping bag when I open the door. I assume the Duomid would be better in this regard? Would be great if I could roll back the doors on nice nights since I won't have the bivy to cowboy camp.

Any opinions on these shelters or any others you would recommend? Here are some additional considerations: I just need a solo shelter. I want to be able to enter the shelter from the long end, I don't like crawling in then squirming around to get facing the right direction. Simplicity in set up is the real key for me, the less fiddling I have to do in camp the better. Also a small footprint when pitched is a plus, the undergrowth here can limit campsite options. As nice as a cuben shelter would be, its out of my price range and I'm ok with the weight penalty of boring old silnylon. If the shelter can come in yellow that would be nice too. I like how a yellow shelter looks in pictures :D

Thanks in advance!
    Adam

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Golite SL2
    6 stakes
    Super weather protection
    Super fast set up
    Cheap

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

I guess I should have added available for purchase :D

I had looked at the SL2 and do kind of like it. I'd like to have the shelter by mid April when I have a trip planned. I realize that I'd have to order soon to get anything from MLD by then or go used, which would make the SL2 a viable option.

Adam

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yesterday I did a real time set up of the Notch, just so folk can see how long it takes without post production fiddling.
    Note that I can do it a lot faster than that but the aim was to do it as I do it in the bush…
    Here it is :
    Notch set up
    BTW, I had the fly only in the stuff sack so that is how it was set up but it takes exactly the same time with the inner attached.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

6 stakes
    Option for floor and bug netting, or a net tent.
    Total weight about 20oz.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

I use a Notch…in the Ozarks…nothing but good experiences so far.

4 stakes…pitches in minutes…smallish footprint…decent room with gear/shoes in the vestibule(s).

I'm 6'-180# FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I've only set up my Notch once and it's the easiest shelter that I've ever set up. First try worked perfectly (not sure how you could go wrong with only four pegs).

It was really windy when I set mine up and so after rolling it out I dropped my trekking poles on each side of the tent to hold it down and that also made the trekking poles readily available when I needed them.

If Franco's video made it look easy, it's because it is.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

"Pyramid shelter. . . . lighter and cheaper than the Notch."

The MLD Solomid is not lighter than the TT Notch, at least not the silnylon Solomid. The Solomid is listed as 14oz without the required six stakes. The Notch, including stakes and stuff sack, is about 16oz without its inner. Seems to me the silnylon Solomid and Notch w/o inner are nearly identical in weight.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Thanks for that info. I hadn't been able to find the weight of just the Notch fly anywhere and was curious. If its that low then I think the Notch is looking like the way I'm going to go.

Adam

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

I would double-check with H.Shires on Notch weight just to be sure. I'm going by memory from last fall when I had the two pieces separated and was able to weigh them. Also, 2013 Notch probably weighs a (small?) fraction of an ounce more from adding support for guylines on peaks of tent (great addition, I may send mine back to get those added) and velcro straps to hold both sides of vestibules open rather than just one.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Just weighed a 2013 Notch fly only , 15 and 1/4 oz.
    BTW, the SS1 and 2 also make a very quick and easy tarp only set up and have a lot more usable space than the typical mid shelters…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools