Topic

Family Snowshoe Recs – Carson Pass (CA)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Family Snowshoe Recs – Carson Pass (CA)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Hi. I'm wondering if anybody might have a recommendation for a fun snowshoe near Carson Pass/ Kirkwood in CA. I'll be with my two young kids so it can't be too long or rigorous. Last week we poked around Caples lake a little bit, which was fun, but we were still near the road. I see cars parked near Silver Lake all the time, so maybe that's an option. Many thanks if anybody has any insight on a short, yet beautiful, get-away-from-the-noise walk.

Oh, and if you can also end this warm Sierra weather and bring on some more storms that would be great too.

Thx!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't cover that area with snowshoes, but rather with cross country skis. If you drive up to Carson Pass proper, there are two Sno-Park lots, so have a permit. If you go north, you will get up around Showers Lake where you can see Lake Tahoe in the distance. But there is scenery even if you make it only halfway. Instead, if you go south, you will be heading toward Round Top Mountain. Lake Winnemucca is at its base. I see more snowshoe tracks going to the south rather than to the north.

If you need something easier, then drive on through Carson Pass and down to the Red Lake turnoff. There, the Blue Lakes Jeep Road heads south. If you follow it about 2.5-3.0 miles, you will get to some scenery. Again, many people turn around halfway.

–B.G.–

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Thanks Bob, good suggestions. Red Lake might be a decent option for us. We might just settle for a little walk down to Woods Lake — my daughter's 5 year old legs can only 'shoe so far.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

Consider going up the old Carson Pass Rd on the south side of Red Lake. It's a nice easy grade, offers expansive views, and will be downhill all the way back to the car, assuming you start at the lake.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Consider going up the old Carson Pass Rd on the south side of Red Lake."

The old road is the original wagon road from the 1850's. That was one of the best routes from the Nevada side entering California. Read up on the history, and then go travel the route.

The highway is the new route that was put in much later.

–B.G.–

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Nice, thanks Bill. My kids so far really seem to enjoy our little snowshoe adventures so it seems safe to say that there will be another (we just bombed around Hope Valley area this time). We'll definitely check out your suggestion in an upcoming weekend.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

For history buffs, another interesting destination near Carson Pass is the site of a Fremont party campsite nearby. That makes a nice loop trip starting at the pass, going cross country from the PCT, and returning via the old roadway. It used to be you could find the location on the web; somebody had a whole page devoted to it.

Probably too tough for the kids, though, and they aren't likely to appreciate the history so much at 5.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Probably too tough for the kids, though, and they aren't likely to appreciate the history so much at 5."

Explain to the kids that it was Kit Carson, the famous frontier scout.

–B.G.–

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools