Topic

Poncho / Bug Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Poncho / Bug Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Why not combine these two items into one and use with a tarp?

Zpack's style pancho groundsheet with bug netting sewed around perimeter with a velcro opening for your head in the netting.

Sea to Summit made a poncho bivy but it was not bug proof and snapped together.

A cuben version would be very light.

Any thoughts ????

bivybug

zpackgs

zpacgs

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like a good idea, but i don't have any critical feedback except that i think that some people bring bivies with poncho tarps because the poncho tarps tend to be on the small side and during a heavier, windy rain it's likely to get your bag pretty wet at certain areas. The bivy provides extra rain protection in those cases, putting the two together would take away from that.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

I use a full size tarp and bug bivy in the summer as do many others.

I was thinking this would nix the additional rain gear.

I have the scrap cuban and bug net to make one and was interested in other thoughts.

Surprized by the lack of interest.

Perhaps this forum has become "BACKPACKINGNOTTOOLIGHT" : )

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

thought about it, but have too many projects going. So just make one. :)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Craig, my concern would be about tearing the light mesh while wearing it as a poncho. There may be some creative way to have the mesh fold under the poncho so it is not on the outside. Maybe if the mesh was removable while in poncho mode and velcros in place for bivy mode. Just my thoughts.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Ah … this is why I love throwing ideas out there.

I had not thought about the possible snags that would result from wearing it while hiking.

Might be just good for shorter trips when rain is not expected.

I wonder though about the use of bug pants and shirts, as they face the same issues and are able to hold up at least under normal trail conditions – not bushwhacking.

A heavier netting would be much less weight than going with a perimeter of Velcro and still a weight savings over bringing rain gear.

Edit for light bulb going off:

Ben – you inspired a great idea : )

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I hope it works out, Craig. My only fee for the inspiration is that I get to see what you make. I'm not sure what its going to be, but you have me curious now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Derr, sorry Craig, i missed that you said you would bring a separate tarp. Makes a lot more sense now.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

wouldn't the netting be on the inside of the poncho, thus eliminating most of the snag potential?

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Here is my basic idea –

I think a full bug net would be relatively snag free but here is a combo design I am going for that gives it protection.

The material is all cuben with the bug screen zipping open with a half moon shape.

Once open it can slip into the lower half of the bivy and be protected.

The hood uses MLD style that rolls up flat and makes a water proof seal.

Since the bivy edges are tape bonded it is water proof and as there is no stress on those areas it will be more than strong enough.

Only sewing is on the zipper

What do you think?

bivypancho

bivypancho2

hood

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Is the netting against your face?

If so, can bugs bite through it?

To me that isn't an issue, because I don't do really buggy places, but in that case, just take a 4 foot diameter circle of netting and lay it over you. Then you could also use that walking around, over a hat and tucked into shirt.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I like this idea here as a starting point for a multi use item:

http://www.williswall.com/willis-wall-blog/2011/7/3/the-b4-ultralight-upright-and-prone-bug-protection.html

Seems to me that a pullover jacket could be made with a no see um liner. When you just want the bug protection, then just flip the cuban front over to the back keeping the mesh protection. When you are ready for bivy mode, then roll/velcro the sleeves and hood for bug protection.

Apparently he uses a short bivy to cover his legs.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

My graphic skills are limited but like most bivy's it will have a tie out to lift it up off your face.

bbiv

tbiv

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

All the scanarios I tried using a bug screen incorpotated with a ponch would be as heavy as just using a light bivy with a poncho. The bivy/poncho combo is less clumsy and more versatile I think. On fair nights, the bivy could be used alone, making for a quick and easy setup.

I've run through a bunch of scenarios using the Gatewood Cape and various insect netting schemes. The lightest is a head net and progressing to partial nets on up to the Serenity insert, which gives some ground protection in the bargain and 8oz weight.

Borrowing from the hammock world, Papa Smurf turns out a sock style mosquito net using tulle netting that are 3-4 ounces. Tulle will stop mosquitos, but not noseeums. It is generally a big tube with a drawstring at one end.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

This is my current set up.

My MYOG Tarp

MyTarp

My MYOG Cuben top Bivy (Shoulder Season)

CubenBivy

A Borah Bug Bivy w,right side zip (Summer)

BorahbugBivy

What I would like to do is eliminate my need for bringing my rain gear.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools