Topic

John Muir Trail in Big South Fork Recreation Area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion John Muir Trail in Big South Fork Recreation Area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

Does anyone have any info on the John Muir Trail? I'm talking about the one in the Big South Fork River and Recreation Area in Tennessee. Sure would like to plan a 5 day trip there but am needing info.

Email me at garrett dot reggie at gmail . com.

Thanks…
    Reggie

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Its been a long time since Ive been down there but I do remember some of it. I also have a guide book and map still what do you want to know? Sending PM also

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Reggie,

I have paddled and hiked the Big South Fork pretty extensively. Its really a pretty nice area. I would say its not quite as nice as a lot of the Tn/NC border areas, but close. I have done a lot of it because its close to me and, in spring, has a nice whitewater run. They now have pretty nice park facilities too.

The JMT is a good walk mostly. Its mostly wet with the exception of the area at the angel falls overlook and to the north for a few miles. So if you camp there, it will be a dry camp. Just south of the overlook, though, you drop down to lots of water.

My favorite parts of the park include angel falls overlook, angels falls at river level on the east side of the river(great for swimming), and falls branch trail from Bandy Creek campground all the way to Angel Falls.

Edit: Forgot to mention the arches throughout the park. There are several nice ones but double arch is my favorite. It would be a short side trip for you though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools