Topic

DIY Peapod with gathered-end hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping DIY Peapod with gathered-end hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason Schafer
    BPL Member

@jjschafer

I took an older 15 degree sierra design down bag (3 lbs) and had my amazing wife modify it so that my gathered end hammock (grand trunk UL) would slide through. The bag functions like a peapod. It works great.

I was worried about cutting into a down bag, but she made the incisions by first sewing around where the cut was going to be made (like a giant button hole). So then when we cut the fabric no down escaped. And then she lined the hole with grosgrain. The shoulder slot sits between my shoulders and my head. That location causes the hole to get taunt when I'm in the hammock and closes up so there is no draft or cold spot.

This is a very easy to set-up, comfortable, warm setup. I'm 5'10 180 lbs with broad shoulders and it fits me fine. It's not ultralight but it's light. The bag still functions fine on the ground. May add some velcro to the slots to keep them closed when using on the ground.

This was my first quick hang for this photo. For a more comfortable lay, I'd hang the foot end a bit higher and have the sleeping bag further up the hammock.

hammock

head slotfoot slot

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

This is something I plan on doing this summer when I'll have access to a sewing machine. I was planning to take the hood off entirely to use separately. I sleep on my side and it's more comfortable to have my head insulation move with me.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Nice clean sewing job with the grosgrain. Looks great. I'd never seen a "peapod" setup before–apt name for it; very fun idea.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have an overstuffed Speer Peapod (it's actually the most expensive single piece of gear I've ever purchased) that I use when the temperatures are going to be 25 degrees or lower. It works really well but it has one problem that your solution addresses quite nicely: The velcro over the face opening will sometimes stick itself shut.

The Peapod is basically a rectangular quilt with a length of velcro on the long ends so you can seal it. It has drawstrings on each end to cinch up around the hammock. I find it really warm, but after I used it the first time I took an extra piece of velcro (about 12 inches long) and "cancelled" the velcro over my face – while I was sleeping it closed twice on me. I don't have any photos but you get the idea.

The fact that you still have your mummy hood and opening is a real winner. I'm currently working on putting velcro "ends" on a couple of different length dowels so that I can prop the Peapod open over my face while I sleep.

Tristana Rodriguez

@tristana

Hi Jason

It looks great, my only Q is, the hammock doesn't look to be spread out too much. I have images of you falling off and ending up face down looking at the floor in your sleeping bag! Perhaps it is just me as I wriggle a lot in bed!

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

that's actually a very nice cold weather setup. no chance you'll have your UQ slip off of your shoulder in the middle of the night (happens to me sometimes). you could probably keep your feet nice and toasty using a small square of CCF stuffed down in the bottom of the footbox….

Jason Schafer
    BPL Member

@jjschafer

Just bought a sierra designs junction 15 bag off sierra trading post for a deal. This bag works amazingly as a peapod like setup around hammock (also opens up to be a down blanket/small double quilt). I'll post a photo of the setup soon.

Jason Schafer
    BPL Member

@jjschafer

Not only a winter setup…

It works well in my diy bugnet as well. Added shock cord to keep the bag stretched head to toe on the hammock. Added a ridgeline (100 inches) to hold bug net. The ridgeline disconnects easily on one end with a mini-carabiner. I like this setup because less its less expensive than an uq & tq, draft proof, and still works on the ground.

hammock

hammock

hammock

hammock
    *Surprisingly its comfortable to sleep in-line with the hammock (not just diagonal) with a short hammock and longer rideline (at least for me). There is a slight curve but nothing too noticable. With the bags two zipper I can vent pretty easily both torso and legs.

This wouldn't just work for guys my size. For larger folk you could do this with a semirectangular bag for more room and for taller folk you coule use an 11 foot hammock and a long sleeping bag.

It's kind of cumbersome slipping the bag on and off in setup but it not that bad.

Here is a cheap system setup:

Insulation – Kelty Cosmic Down 20 (modified with head and foot slots, or just foot slot) – ~$100/40 oz.

Hammock – Grand Trunk UL – ~$20/12 oz.
    Suspenion – whoopies and straps ~$25/2 oz.
    Bug Protection – bugnet ~$60/7 oz.
    Tarp – warbonnet edge – ~$85/10 oz.

Total – $290/71 oz – shelter and sleep system

This is pretty much my setup except my bag is an old sierra design rather than a kelty cosmic.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools