Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail over Summer Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tahoe Rim Trail over Summer Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks to all those you commented on my JMT pack list. I've had a change of plans and am doing the Tahoe Rim Trail this summer now and wanted to see if there was anyone who had done the hike and would suggest certain items. I'm under the impression that I won't be required to carry a bear canister at all, I know bears are active up there, we've had them walk into our cabin looking for food! So maybe I should carry one anyways? Rather not though…here we go! Thanks!

Packing- GG Kumo or Osprey Exos 46…not sure yet
    Cuben Fiber Stuff sacks for everything

Sleeping
    EE Revelation X 30 Quilt with overstuff &
    Warbonnet Traveller Hammock with whoopie slings
    Hammock Gear Cuben HEx Tarp
    Ti Stakes
    Thermarest Z lite sol (also pack support)

Kitchen
    Caldera Cone Keg Stove system
    Ti Spork
    Mini Bic lighters

Hydration
    Sawyer squeeze filter w/ 2L bottle
    2 Smart 1 liter bottles

Clothes worn and packed
    Montbell Dynamo wind pants
    Patagonia Houdini
    Montbell Synthetic Inner
    Smartwool socks x2
    Ex officio underwear x2
    Smartwool Wool t shirt
    Smartwool 1/4 LS shirt
    Wool beanie
    Stoic Thrive shorts
    Vibram Spydiron shoes
    Patagonia Capilene 3 long underwear
    Sunglasses
    Wide Brim Hat
    Black Diamond Trekking Poles
    PossumDown Gloves

Misc
    First Aid Kit
    Toothbrush and toothpaste
    TP
    Sunscreen
    bug spray
    iPhone 5
    Solar Charger
    BG Mini Knife
    Mini multitool
    Petzl E-lite
    compass
    maps
    headnet

Thanks!

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

Howdy,

I'm planning on hiking the TRT this summer as well.

Just curious on what people have to say about your gear selection.

-Frank

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Nice! Do you know when you're going and where you are starting from?

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I don't have any exact dates. Either in June or July.

I plan on starting from Tahoe Meadows.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Needed. The only thing to watch is water. I had found a list of water sources. Depending on snow year and time of hike, the TRT can be pretty dry. I did a water and food cache near the road coming down from Truckee on the north side of the lake. That was the driest section when I did the trail.

On a separate note. Not sure why you switched from JMT to TRT but they are IMHO not even in the same class. The TRT has a few good views of the lake but other than desolation wilderness it was frankly disappointing. YMMV.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

I did it in September last year, and it didn't rain on me but for about five minutes close to the southern terminus. Most of your gear looks great to me, but I'm worried about your shoes. Even tough vibrams could leave your feet feeling battered if you're moving 20 miles in a day, especially through desolation. I used an odor-blocking nylofume bag with no bear can, and didn't have any problems for my own part.

If you do a bpl search, you can find several great threads on the TRT with links to simple tables folks have compiled about water sources; the north is definitely the driest section, but the northeast isn't great either. I usually had extra when I rolled in to the next water source, but I carried a bit and also found I could hike pretty well without drinking a whole lot if needed to.

As for the scenery, it surely isn't spectacular all the time. Desolation is definitely the nicest spot, but it doesn't offer any views of the lake proper where the TRT goes through it. On the dry, dusty, boring northern and eastern sides, you get frequent relief with great views of the lake, and sometimes you'll pop over a ridge or hit a peak that gives you great views away from the lake as well.

Austin Lundquist

@alundquist

Yah the shoes were what I was thinking of changing. I also hike in merrell trail gloves.

The reason for the switch from the JMT is that I need to find a shorter trip and its my first thru hike and I heart the TRT is one of the easier ones to plan because of all the stops in civilization…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools