Topic

Sawyer improves its bags – Aussies go check out Kmart

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer improves its bags – Aussies go check out Kmart

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

John Abela has recently posted an interesting article about Sawyer's new tougher (?) and improved 'squeeze' bags – http://hikelighter.com/2013/01/20/sawyer-squeeze-updated-2013-version/#more-594 .

I've contacted Sawyer and I think I blew it, not sure John was supposed to advertise the fact that the old black bags are now obsolete! Sorry John.

Anyway, Sawyer agreed to sell me some of the new bags which are normally only available if you buy the new filter.

AUSTRALIANS – you may have noticed that Kmart are selling tastefully decorated (metallic blue or Zebra striped) 0.5L squeeze bags for $1 each – grab em whilst they last they seem pretty tough and they fit the squeeze filter. You may have to change your entire wardrobe to go with their understated appearance though…

BTW I've been using PET soft drink bottles as the 'dirty' bottle on my Squeeze. Whilst they are a bit noisey they take quite a bit of wringing before cracking and don't leak and they are stiff enough to submerge in the water when filling with dirty water, rids you of the need to keep a 'scoop' for the purpose of filling the bag – just a thought in case you haven't tried them..or burst your last bag!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I can't tell if this is anecdotal or not. I will post some high definition pictures tomorrow.

My brand new Platypus 2L fits absolutely perfectly on my brand new 2013 Sawyer Squeeze, which I got from MLD with the new bombproof bag. It's a perfect connection, no forcing it, just had to line it up right. It doesn't sit at an angle and it filtered 4 liters without a leaked drop.

So, either 50 backpackers on this forum can't screw a bottle on or they changed it. It should be the latter… I hope!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

That's good news, I've been wanting to get a Sawyer filter for a while but was leery because I've got a couple of Platypus bladders that I'd still like to use. I'm less interested if I have to replace them with the ever-elusive Evernew bladders.

Adam

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I bought my Sawyer system some time last year and my Platys are several years old, but they mate up fine.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have a Platypus from maybe 2 years ago and it does not fit right – I can screw it on but it doesn't feel right and leaks – maybe I need lessons from Max and Chris.

I have a Platypus from maybe 10 years ago and it fits fine.

But they both seem brittle – kind of stiff and crinkly – delamination around the edges – I should quit being a hoarder and throw them away.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Takes me like two seconds to screw it on. No resistance at all.

This is the platypus I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B002LSS68C/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&color_name=x&img=MAIN&s=sporting-goods

My Sawyer was the 2013 one from MLD, as stated above.

matthew rangel
    BPL Member

@mrangel

Perhaps Sawyer changed the threading as well as the bag material. My Platy leaks terribly when attached to my 2012 filter. It's a useless combo with my filter…

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Yeah, the 2012's don't work.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Here are pictures of a Sawyer in-line adaptor vs. a Platypus bottle. The adaptor was purchased about a year ago. I assume the threads are identical to the Squeeze itself. My Platypus bottles range from two to ten years old and are all threaded alike.

The Platypus threads appear use the SPI specification for 28mm caps of .167" thread pitch or 6 tpi. The Sawyer threads measure closer to the .106" thread pitch (about 9.43 tpi) pop bottle standard (Similar standard).

They line up and screw together to a point.

Maybe one or the other has changed for 2013.

Platypus Bottle thread vs Sawyer

Platypus Bottle thread vs Sawyer

Hope this helps.

(edited to correct specification references)

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I emailed John T. Smith of Sawyer concerning the threading and bag material in question that individuals had about the new 2013 squeeze bags (blue model).

The question was, "Has Sawyer changed the threading as well as the bag material on the new bags?"

The ANSWER……."We have changed neither."

2013 SAWYER BAG

For more information: http://hikelighter.com/2013/01/20/sawyer-squeeze-updated-2013-version/

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Now I'm picturing fifty BPL members furiously banging a platypus and a Sawyer Squeeze together, unable to complete the basic screwing motion!

Sarcasm. I'm sure it isn't incompetence. Something, somewhere, changed. It had to, right?

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

New to the forum, but I have the squeeze. I had one of the sawyer bags fail on me already. I've made due with a platy bottle, but it does leak as others have shown, so I'm careful to hold the whole thing upside down when squeezing.

Just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone has come up with an alternative other than the perpetually unavailable Evernew bags?

One idea I was toying with was whether it was possible to add a second spout to a platypus bottle using some sort of bulkhead fitting, but I haven't been able to fin a bulkhead fitting for the soda bottle type threads.

I'm thinking I might just switch to a nalgene canteen and one of the jetflow adapters, but it doesn't seem like the lightest option.

Thoughts?

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Wouldn't I need some sort of male-male coupler to use the tornado tube with a platy bag on the dirty water end?

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Here's what I've used with a Frontier Pro filter instead of threading it directly to a Platy. I find it's easier to drink from and can be left attached and still fit in a side pocket. It's just a Platy hydration tube cut short. Arrowhead Equipment has a similar 'Platy hose adaptor' for cheap.

Pictured attached to a Sawyer Squeeze adaptor:
    Platy to sawyer using hydration hose

Hope this helps.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

This looks great. Thank you!

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

I broke down and purchased a Sawyer Squeeze. Upon inspection, it appeared that the thread pitch on the filter and adaptor was different than the thread pitch of the included caps! I cut a cap in two and compared the threads more closely. The thread pitch is indeed different. The Squeeze cap more closely matches the Platypus bottle neck than the Squeeze itself!

Squeeze cap vs Squeeze bottle neck – mismatch:
    Sawyer Squeeze cap vs neck

Squeeze cap vs Squeeze filter – mismatch:
    Sawyer Squeeze cap vs filter

Squeeze neck vs Platypus neck – mismatch:
    Squeeze neck vs Platypus neck

Squeeze cap vs Platypus neck – match:
    Squeeze cap vs Platypus neck

I'm no longer going to worry about thread compatibility. If it's good enough for Sawyer and it doesn't leak, I'll use it with my Platy bottles without fear of messing up the threads.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools