Topic

Does “modding” count as MYOG?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Does “modding” count as MYOG?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have modded much of my backpacking gear – sometimes extensively. Does the count as MYOG?
    (Mod Yer Own Gear ;o)

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Why not? You've "made" it your own!

Adam

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Too right!

And photos of the mods are welcome.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Adam,

That's correct, once modded the gear is much more "my own" in terms of usefulness, not to mention pride of ownership.

Next on my list after "winterizing" my Scarp2 (done) is sewing small Velcro pieces to my WM Megalite bag and the mummy shaped down bag "topper", extending the temp range for mild winter use down to 15 F. Fine needle and thread will be used.

OK Roger,

Photos of the modded Scarp are coming tomorrow. Please give your comments since you are very familiar with tunnel tents in winter. The Scarp 2 is a "semi-tunnel" but now with interior crossing poles.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

;-)” height=”455″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1359155362_74557.jpg” width=”285″ />

Pictures are not only welcomed they are required! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Absolutely! Figuring out a way to greatly improve an item with a few modifications can be much more rewarding than having to start something from scratch to get the features we want. Oodles of time saved, money saved, etc. Remember that beatiful tent with silnylon from Germany that Stu Robb posted here? Definitely one to drool over; but who has the time to build the frame, and tailor and sew a whole tent like that? Any shortcut that works is worth knowing about.

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Absolutely! I bet that how most MYOG builders start out.
    That's how I learned to sew as a kid. Mom got tired of fixing my gear and showed me how.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Yes, modding counts, per description of the myog forum:

"and discussions of how to HACK UP off the market products to make them lighter (and sometimes, better"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools