Topic

Clothing Additions for Fall Hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Clothing Additions for Fall Hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James Dieffenwierth

@shorembo

Locale: SWFLA

I am planning a Fall hike in Virgina (AT). This will be my first non-summer hike. I am curious about what clothing changes I should make (for both hiking and sleeping).
    My summer hiking clothes are fairly lightweight and I also did not include any raingear at all.

My summer equipment is:

Hiking
    – T-shirt (wicking)
    – Compression Underwear
    – Zipper Leg Pants (lightweight fishing)
    – Socks (wicking/running)
    – Windshirt (if necessary)
    – Shoes (MT 101)
    – Hat (Tilly)

Campsite
    – T-Shirt
    – Fleece
    – Thick Socks
    – Running Shorts
    – Knit Cap

I am from Florida and the last time I camped in 30 degree weather (as a scout leader), I actually shaked and shivered I was so cold.

I really don't want to shiver on this trip, either outside at night or in my tent sleeping while in the middle of nowhere.

And… right now seems a prime time to buy some winterwear…at least based on the spam emails I keep getting.

Thanks for any advice!

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Hi James,

You're picking a great time of year to visit the Southern Highlands, though the weather can be radically different between early and late fall, depending on where you're at. Mid-September will be very much like summer, with the nights alittle cool but not cold. By the end of october, the nights are getting pretty cold and you can have cold weather during the day as well.

In addition to what you're normally carrying for summer, I would add a full set of long underwear, something around Cap2 weight. I would also add a puffy, either as a supplement or replacement for the fleece. Nice in camp, on rest stops, and to supplement your sleeping system. Down or synthetic is your choice, although if your hiking will mostly be in the Southeast a synthetic might be a more appropriate choice. And raingear; you're less likely to need it in fall than any other time of year, but I would still carry it unless I knew for certain it wouldn't rain. All these worn together while sleeping will boost your sleeping system's warmth quite a bit, though I wouln't wear the raingear in my bag unless it were really cold.

If you're cold natured, plan for hot drinks in camp. A nice heavy meal with lots of fat content will keep the furmace stoked all night. Use a hot water bottle in camp inside your jacket to add warmth, and also to warm up your bag before going to bed. Make sure your sleeping pad is adequate for the expected temps.

Have a great time!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools