Topic

JMT Trailhead suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT Trailhead suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

I'm aiming to do the JMT solo this summer close to July 11. North to south. I applied for permit listing Happy Isles as the trailhead with a few different dates but was denied.

I'm going to re-apply but I was hoping to get some suggestions for different trailheads to list.

I have some flexibility on beginning dates but not much. So I was also wondering how hard it is to get a permit by just showing up? Do I book my flight, show up and hope for the best? What's the best way to go that route?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

if you just need a permit for one, then a walk in permit is not that hard to get, especially if you have a couple days to play with. just show up very early in the morning.

I have gotten a walk in solo JMT permit from Happy Isles 2 times. if you are willing to get in line at the Wilderness office as early as 4:30 you should have no problem.

July 11 , you may want to keep track of the Sierra snow levels this winter. right now its quite a bit above average. July 11 could end up being a bit early, but if you don't mind snow filled passes … go for it.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Whalen,

Me and a friend are doing a section of the JMT from July 13-21st and we got our permit out of Mammoth. That's probably farther south then you're looking to start but you can essentially start at any trail head that connects to the JMT. I know Tuolomne is a common starting point for a lot of folks who couldn't get a permit out of the valley. Maybe we will see you out there.

Erik

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Getting a solo walk-in permit shoudl not be a problem to start at happy isles, especially if you have a day or two of leeway.

Alternatively, you could try Tuoleme, the YARTS bus from Mammoth stops here before going on to Happy Isle. You could also take the shuttle to Red's Meadows from Mammoth and start there. However, both of these are quite a ways into the trip, so if you want to do the whole trail, I'd say just go to Happy Isle and walk-in for a permit.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This doesn't meet your requirements (N to S), but if you switch your direction you can start at New Army Pass or Cottonwood Pass – those are the first trailhead passes south of Whitney. Then, you'd pick up the JMT at Crabtree Meadow. If you're set on climbing Whitney, you can do it as a day hike from the west side. Alternately, skip the chaos of Whitney and climb any of the other fine peaks along the crest (assuming you've got basic off-trail skills). Split Mountain comes to mind as a great substitute for Whitney :)

Permits for New Army and Cottonwood are easy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools