Topic

About to pull trigger on a Hexamid – quick “?”s on cuben weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) About to pull trigger on a Hexamid – quick “?”s on cuben weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    A W

@lost_01

Hey all,

Longtime lurker, hoping for input before I start making some purchases. For a JMT this year (and hopefully a PCT in 2014) I am about to pull the trigger on the Hexamid Solo Plus.

1) Any last minute consensus on the Cuben weight – or are there any reasons *against* getting this tent in the .7 weight, other than the 1.5oz penalty? Just to be safe I was thinking of getting the .7, but it doesn't seem like anyone here has done the same…..

2) Anyone purchase the extended beak and later regret it?

3) Any other custom mods or changes that you guys would recommend?

Many thanks!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I may go with the solo with bug netting, but the + is not much more weight. I'm interested too. I was giving this size some consideration, but have not opted to purchase yet. I did email an order for a ZPack pack though the other night, still a few weeks wait. Putting the cart in front of the horse, but it will be interesting to see if I can get my gear in a little smaller pack for week long trips or just use it for weekends.
    Duane

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

"3) Any other custom mods or changes that you guys would recommend?"

Yes, see the following thread/pics. Of course, everyone has different needs/tastes but, this shelter is a dream for me.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62945&skip_to_post=567295#567295

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had my solo-plus Hexamid with beak made with the 0.74 oz cuben rather than the standard 0.51 oz cuben. Just thought it was worth the small weight penalty, extra durability, and peace of mind. I'm glad I did it. Though I haven't really heard any complaints about the 0.51 oz. I have a couple of the ZPacks stuff sacks in the 0.51 oz, just seemed a little too fragile to me.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I have the original .51 SEWN version hexamid that is still goin STRONG! There is no seam stretching at all. I had it up at Henry coe a couple weeks ago in the rain and 20mph winds and it was bomber. I would definitely recommend the beak for the solo. i haven't seen a solo plus but you might be able to get away with no beak since you could shift all the way to the back wall if you are getting spray.
    The only reason I would get .7oz for a hex would be if i was expecting to use it in the snow. (not that cuben is recommended for snow..)

also, if I was ordering one now with cuben groundsheet i would probably have them just sew it in. I leave mine clipped in there most of the time anyway.. only disadvantage is you cant take it out to cowboy camp if you wanted..

A W

@lost_01

All,

thanks for the input!

The Mod Rusty posted up certainly looks interesting, will have to consider that one.

*I probably won't use this in much snow, but I do like having a little versatility.

For my trip overall, I plan to cowboy camp whenever there aren't any bugs – as work will dictate when I can leave, there may be….lots. (If I were not considering the poncho/groundsheet then having it sewed in would make sense.)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Are these two pieces or all sewn together when you have the bug netting? I'm not worried about the cuben groundcloth, I use my polycryo.
    Duane

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Not sure I fully understand your question….but yes, everything is sewn together. Joe didn't have any of that funky green cuben left so he used that darker olive for the addition (I like the olive color better:-)). I added the netting around the perimeter.

For the groundcloth/floor, when there's no rain in the forecast, I use polycryo (interior window insulation) as opposed to my heavier poncho.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Rusty, I think it has to do with the ground sheet, so I guess the bug netting is "factory" installed already when the reference was made about cowboy camping and I asked about two pieces.

I'm guessing that if a non-stock (polycryo for instance) ground sheet is big enough for the Hexamid, it will curl up the sides of the netting and make a bathtub bottom versus buying the BearPaw Minimalist 1 innernet with bathtub bottom at 9 oz. for a 6.8oz.? MLD Patrol. I'm trying to garner and take away some info from BPL, so to me, using something else when a much lighter option is available would go against what I'm trying to do. Per another thread, Matt did a lot of traveling with his Patrol and it seems more versatile in tight campsites.
    Solo Hexamid w/o beak—-9.3oz.
    tent pole

1.5oz.
    stakes (8)

1.6oz.
    total

12.4oz.

This would cut my present shelter weight in half, as my floorless TT Squall weights 24-25oz. with front pole. Wow!
    Duane

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I love my solo plus, and have no concerns with the 0.51 cuben, I think that it is just fine for a shelter. However, if you think you would want the 0.7, I would say go for it, the weight difference is pretty minimal, and would indeed provide more durability.

They are taping them now, which would be the only mod I would ask for, so no reason for that now. If you plan to ever use this shelter for 2, or in a fair amount of rain, I would also suggest going with the beak. You could get by without it, but I like having mine there as a little extra reassurance. It's nice. I would suggest getting at least one strip of the single sided tape and keep it in your pack though, just in case you ever need to repair it, this will be your best option.

Anyway, if you want to read up on the solo plus some more, check out my write up & videos on my blog:

http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/shelter/zpacks-hexamid-solo-plus-w-beak-cuben-ground-sheet/

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Yes, get the beak.

If you're just getting it for yourself, then I'd go with the solo – there's plenty of room for one and your gear – you don't really need the plus.

.51, .7. Potato, potawto.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

AW – please note that Ron at MLD does not accept returns on the .5 oz Cuben. Check out the MLD site. He knows more about materials than most of us.

Emily B

@emilyb

Re suggestions for other hexamid mods:

I had a loop put on the top of mine, for hanging from a tree.

Instead of a beak, I rigged my MYOG poncho to be a door / beak. Connects via mitten hooks on stretchy cord, so leaves (covered) gaps for ventilation. Very flexible and roomy, and since it's dark sil it gives a little privacy. Though if I were going on longer hikes, I'd consider the built-in beak for less fuss.

You can get little stick-on loops (look in the tarps section) and velcro, if you think you'll want to attach anything to the inside once you've gotten to know your hexamid a bit. Bivy hang loop, etc.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

With the big extra cost of the added beak, my thinking too was to somehow attach some polycryo or something light and a whole lot cheaper to the entrance side.
    Duane

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

I can post pictures this evening of a standard solo with beak setup in the snow.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Before I converted my Hexamid to a SMD Wild Oasis like shelter, I'd use my poncho the way Emily did. Was a bit of fiddling involved, and it was a tad flappy in breezes, but… it worked pretty well for me.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Jacob, please do post photos. I'm interested. Hmm, use in the snow, more weight savings over my BD Hilight at 3.5 lbs. Nice.
    Duane

A W

@lost_01

In your experience, is the solo more than enough space for someone who is 6'2 to stay dry in rain?

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

"In your experience, is the solo more than enough space for someone who is 6'2 to stay dry in rain?"

I think that would depend on the rain. If it were coming straight down, without wind, and the 6'-2" person had the shelter adjusted high enough for decent clearance between them and the underside of the shelter, then yes, it might be fine. However, with a breeze or wind, things could be very different.

I'm only 6' tall and would not want my Hexamid any shorter.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

my 10 cents:

I have met many Hexamid owners who regretted NOT getting the beak but never ment any one the other way around.

Line tensioners on the guylines make this tent MUCH eaiser to pitch. So does the pole Zpacks sells to go with it.

If you are tall you might want to consider the longer version or the solo plus.

I just sold my Hexamid on this site. I loved the tent but I shift around in my sleep and wind up kicking the sides and getting my sleeping bag soaked. I have this same problem with any small single wall tent and have wound up selling a Lunar Solo and a Duo Mid on this site. I shift around because I have a damaged back.

I just replaced the Hexamid with a Zpacks 8.5 x 10 tarp. I camped under a tarp when I was 2 years old and used a tarp backpacking all through high school. I have plenty of room to shift in my sleep under this.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools