Topic

Swiss army paring knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Swiss army paring knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I remember reading that some like using this knife for their kitchen. I checked on Amazon. Is it the 3.25" paring knife or does it go by another name?

Also is there a sheath?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check REI for the Little Vickie model with a sheath. The sheath solves a lot of problems.

http://www.rei.com/product/836226/victorinox-little-vickie-utility-knife

The bare knife comes in several sizes and profiles and plain or serrated edges. I originally found them in a commercial fishing supply. Restaurant supply stores carry them too.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Take a look at the Vitorinox tomato knife. The serrated blade is really what makes this style of knife so great. I very much prefer the rounded end on the tomato knife, compared to the pointed end of the Little Vicky, but the sheath of the little Vicky beats all. It's also a slightly smaller, lighter handle

Now I have to decide whether to round the end of my Vickie, or shorten one of my three tomato knives.

(Dale, my dad loved the form factor of my Vickie so much, I just couldn't not give him the spare one with his Christmas present. My mum has cut her thumb with it three times since. She loves it too!)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Dale: Thanks for the link with that sheath.

All the bait shops and commercial fishing suppliers up here carry that same knife, but in a heavier sheath made for a belt. Or as a bare knife. Many mushers carry one outside their parka in case they need to cut through a tangle of dog leads quickly (rope around another dog necks, sled into the river, etc). When I was mushing more, I stitched the sheath to the outside thigh of my coveralls. Then it was always in the same place.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I think the Little Vicky is the sweetest prep knife for hiking. I do think that the inside of the sheath would be hard (nearly impossible?) to clean, if you didn't wipe all the cheese/sausage off the knife before inserting it back into the sheath.

So I made a few of these, using 1" tubular webbing:

Red sheath

I expect the chipmunks will be impressed with my stylish matching sheath. But to impress the bears with your Bear Grylls persona, there's another option:

Camo sheath

I sealed the end near the knife tip with a hot knife, but if you left it open, the inside of the sheath could be easily cleaned with a round brush. But I consider these to be disposable–when they get dirty, toss them.

The original knife with its sheath weighs 23 grams, and with the webbing sheath it's 21 grams (what savings!). The webbing sheath could be sewn to your shoulder strap or hip belt for quick access. And if you really want to geek out, you could make the sheath out of 1" tubular Velcro, and then sew the mating piece to your shoulder strap. That way you can have a sheath that attaches to your pack but can also be taken to the food prep area.

I bought all my hiking friends one of these knives for X-mas, along with a red tubular sheath. That's how much I like this knife, and also my friends.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools