Topic

does anyone make such a hat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) does anyone make such a hat?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I'm looking for a baseball style hat that has 1) a crown made of breathable/mesh/or non-WP/B material and 2) a bill that is waterproof.

I'm hoping to use the waterproof bill to supplement the hood of a rain jacket but I don't want the the rest of the hat to be a sauna.

Thanks!

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Not exactly within your parameters, but this eVent baseball cap was designed to work with the Spektr smock and might meet your needs: http://www.montane.co.uk/range/accessories/pace-cap

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

How about buying a breathable cap that you like and goving the bill a triple dose of DWR treatment? There are all kinds of cheap mesh trucker's caps. A mesh runner's cap or a sun hat like the OR Sun Runner could do double duty I fair weather.

Perhaps a silnylon sheath could be made for the bill, or even the bill and front panel?

I like idea. Many a bad hood has been fixed with a baseball cap. The bill would keep the spray off you face and glasses.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I have been eying this one for a while but have yet to buy one. Side vents and DWR and pretty light.

http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/vented-longbill-cap-50-upf?p=29285-0-243

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

… ought to do the trick. I dunno what's in the bill but its waterproof. The outer fabric gets wet but you can angle it down so the water drips off. Havent noticed any wicking in either. Bought mine in '06 … I think the new ones are the same.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

What if you took a cheap mesh trucker hat and coated the top of the bill with something like seam seal?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

You could probably do the thinned silicone thing to coat the bill too. There must be some clear spray something or other that would do the same. All said and done, some heavy duty DWR like Tent and Gear Proof would be good 'nuff.

Most of these caps have a chunk of plastic in the bill. You just need to keep the fabric from wetting out and think about the seam between the bill and cap body.

I just remembered those painters caps at Home Depot. They are super light (and cheap) and have a plastic bill.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Not what you are looking for but REI sells an eEvent baseball cap. In a light rain or drizzle I find it more comfortable to wear my hood down I am cooler. When the rain gets worse I pull up the hood.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools