Topic

Effectiveness of a Fur Ruff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Effectiveness of a Fur Ruff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

For those of you who like to read the tests,as well as get some insight into design considerations, here is a paper I came across about the effectiveness of a fur ruff.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/cr2004/26/c026p077.pdf

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

It goes to show that one get published on ANY topic.

I found it interesting and informative (although I suspect a lot of people would get bogged down by all the heat transfer jargon).

The two biggest things I learned were the

1) effectiveness of the "sunburst pattern" – I'm familiar with tunnel hoods, find them very effective, and that the fur ruff helps. But the sunburst style would allow much better visibility to the side and maybe help someone avoid getting hit by a bus – a hazard that the Inuit didn't face pre-contact.

2) "Caribou Inuit elders recommend using hoods that fit loosely around the back of the head and closely at the face (Oakes & Riewe 1995). The space behind the head allows for warmer air rising from the torso region." Thinking of it now, and parkas I've had that worked better than others, I can see that this is true.

I know why, but for others: "the fur used is usually wolverine, wolf or dog" – they looked at the physical properties and that guard hairs plus and undercoat do a good job of creating a large, insulating boundary layer. But another reason those particular furs are used is that they do not ice up with condensed breath moisture.

And, while their measurements and focus on boundary layers was appropriate, I also think of the ruff in another, more intuitive way: The dense, thick and variable hair in the ruff is very good at "dissipating" the energy of the wind. It's a design feature of a good breakwater – to have many sizes, shapes, and cavities so energy is absorbed rather than just reflected. Simple walls can do from one angle, but complex, "highly frictional" (to a moving fluid) surfaces can do that all angles.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

The only thing I which wa added was a better description of what constitutes a starburst pattern, showing how the fur is oriented.

Brett Ayer
    Spectator

@bfayer

Locale: Virginia

"…But the sunburst style would allow much better visibility to the side and maybe help someone avoid getting hit by a bus – a hazard that the Inuit didn't face pre-contact."

But they did face getting snuck up on by polar bears, and angry mother in laws, which arguably would be worse than a bus.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Fur is VERY effective when the correct fur item is gifted to a woman.

"Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker." …and fur is FER SURE!

Seriousnessly though, a wolverine fur hood ruff if supposed to be the best B/C frost from your breath won't cling to it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools