Topic

Just saying Thanks….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Torson

@ttorson45

Thought I'd throw a post up, since I've spent enough time recently reading on this and other lightweight BP forums. Here's a quick overview. I've always been an outdoors type, backpacked intermittently, but mostly I was a climber. After I retired, I re-outfitted myself, intending to do more packing. I did several western (Sierra Nevada, Zion, Grand Canyon) trips with a friend, and some local stuff, mostly West Virginia. Had a good time, and enjoyed occasionally making fun of the lightweight folks, with their lightening holes drilled in utensils, teeth removed to save weight, the usual…

A couple of years back I had a tachycardic episode and had to have an cardiac ablation. I was also put on a beta blocker. I knew it affected my stamina somewhat, but I really had it brought home last August, when I grabbed the dog and some gear for a overnighter in WV. Not a fun trip. When I got back, I started doing the research, decided that while I probably was never going to get any younger, I could carry not necessarily less, but certainly lighter stuff. After a process I call "spending a lot of money", I went from about a 28 lb base weight to a summer base weight of about 10 – 1/2 lbs. Without sacrificing any comfort or safety. And it feels like I'm carrying a daypack! Thus inspired, I'm looking forward to at least a trip a month during the upcoming season, and hopefully about a 250 mi section of the AT.

I want to thank everyone who takes the time to post observations, techniques, gear reviews, etc. This forum is a phenomenally helpful resource that really aided me in making informed decisions and will enable me to continue doing something I really enjoy. Oh, and sorry about the jokes….

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Don't apologize about the jokes. They were pretty funny.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Don't apologize about the jokes. They were pretty funny."

There were jokes? Shoot, I never get anything…..

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If it's not complaining about the website or Ryan it's a joke

Or maybe the other way around?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I find that instead of wasting time drilling a couple holes in my toothbrush, I save more weight by punching hundreds of holes in my tarp. Then I remove the middle section of my hiking poles. And do I really need TWO shoulder straps on my pack? I think not!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools