Topic

Patagonia Piton Hybrid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Piton Hybrid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Rick,

Patagucci does it again.

"Other than the silly $$ cost, any opinions from hikers?"

After viewing an informational video on the Piton I understand the "patched" look of this jacket.

Form follows function but the black version is the least objectionable looking version of the new Patagonia Piton Hybrid hoody and it's still not going to separate me from my $179.00.

I think I understand the color choices. Out in the back country being visible can be a benefit. I have a bright orange pack that I use during hunting season so that I don't become a trophy.

I'm sure it's a fine piece of kit but I wouldn't be sure if I was warm because of the Piton or because of the exasperation I was feeling due to the cost.

They're new and priced like new model year gear is usually priced. Give it some time, maybe 6 to 9 months, and they will be on 6:PM, Clymb and STP for < $100.00. Even then I would probably still balk at the cost.

My 2 cents. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

All the raincoats I find, including Patagonia's Super Cell jacket which I love, have small, lightweight minimalist zippers and pockets high enough to get over the hipbelt of a pack. So convenient, so useful!

These seem to be taboo in the fleece department, though… Patagonia, TNF, Columbia, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear… everyone makes fleeces the old-fashioned way.

It would be nice if they assumed shoppers at the $170 price point, who are buying skintight technical garments, might be backpackers and might not need a zipper that weighs more than a musket-ball….

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I was kind of looking at the hoody version but begged off. For cold, I'd want handwarmer pockets too for that price.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

It's the same material as the MH Desna hoody I reviewed here recently, so you can expect similar performance. Whether that is what you need is another question.

Premium fabrics and construction demand premium prices. Nothing new there.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Actually the front panels on the Piton use Polartec Windpro which is considerably more wind resistant than other versions of fleece (including powerstretch with hardface used in the Desna).

http://www.polartec.com/shelter/polartec-wind-pro/how-does-it-work.aspx

The jacket version seems to have a better panelling layout. I like that there is more wind resistance in the lower abdomen (tends to get cold for me the first) than on the hoody. I assume this is because harness and gear while climbing helps with wind resistance (but in my experience a cold wind always finds a way in if you underestimate it).

As for pocket placement and zippers on the hoody not being ideal for backpacking, it's a jacket named after climbing gear from a company founded by climbers and catering to yuppies who crag climb and thrill seek more than backpackers. It's not for you…still the hoodless version does cater more to those not far from a car.

For it's weight and purpose in high aerobic activity it looks decent. If you want handwarmers you aren't using your hands or moving too fast so a warmer insulation piece would be necessary anyway. Maybe it's just me but the only time my hands are in my pockets is when puttering around camp or in a city.

Looks like a good piece, but the price is prohibitive for me (though nearly all fleeces at MSRP from the big names are outrageous in my opinion).

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

59$ on clearance …. wind resistant … not for social or intraweb "outdorsy" folks ;)

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/HikingClothing/Tops/PRD~5024-043/mec-khamsin-2-jacket-mens.jsp

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Compared to an R1, I didn't like it as much, though my usage is a bit different – I ski and tour with it, using the hood as a built-in hat and balaclava, and use the wrist thumbloops under my gloves for full coverage when needed.

The zipper is thicker and not very comfortable when the hood is fully zipped. The thicker full zipper also causes the material to bulge out when bending forward.

It's significantly shorter and doesn't have the extended wrists and thumbholes – that's probably where most of the weight was shaved.

Overall, it's a nice piece, but it's less technical than the R1. If they had made it exactly like the R1, but just added the Windpro panelling, it would have been a much better piece. I was excited about the potential, but ultimately pretty disappointed.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. Would love to hear feedback from Piton users. I use a Cap 4 hoody as a baselayer and I'm looking to purchase a midlayer piece for layering over a Cap 1/2. I like the full-zip of the Piton Hoody, but like the additional pockets of the hoodless jacket. The vest is also intriguing.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks, gentlemen. How would you compare the Piton to the R1 (hoody or jacket)?

Do you have any thoughts on the vest?

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

Can't compare to the R1 which I don't own, but I really like my Piton hoody. Fit is good and warm, but full zip makes it very versatile.

If I did it again I'd probably get the jacket as the wind pro right down the front would be nice and I have a big head so I find the hood a bit too snug and not that comfortable, don't use it much – zip also catches on my beard a bit.

Having said that I don't think the jacket fits the same? For warmth and comfort I think the hoody fits great – snug but stretchy and not constricting.

Edit: I've also got the green/blue hoody and while I bought it for the trail I often wear it around the city and it has had several complements for the excentric fashion statement, even my GF has come around to the style. YMMV

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools