Topic

Sand River – Midwest Packraft Possibility

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sand River – Midwest Packraft Possibility

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Thanks rOg! I remember late one night poking around on Google maps and seeing the Sand and wondering if it would be a good trip. This has me thinking again!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Are there marked portages, or is it all off-trail travel?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Oh wow. Yeah, I haven't seen that map before.

I live down in Milwaukee. Interested, for sure! But the problem isn't necessarily logistics with transportation, its getting time off work. Really from late March until August I don't have the opportunity to go on long trips. Weekends at best. Then September through November I'm out of commission again.

This is a trip I'm definitely going to keep tucked in the back of my mind, now knowing more about it.

FWIW, I have initial plans this summer to do the Maah Daah Hey trail in North Dakota. 90ish miles of trail an another 100 packrafting the Little Missouri. I might put an invite on BPL once things become solidified.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Hey Travis…if you decide to do that hike/pack raft trip on the maah dah, let me know. Looks like fun and Id be game!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Diego, I'll be sure to post something about it when the time gets near.

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

Off topic on the thread, but I am about 50/50 on doing that exact same trip this June, have been thinking about it for about a year. I was thinking hiking the upstream route and then a canoe rental for the return trip down the Little Missouri. I'm located in Austin MN currently…

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

I paddled the Sand in '02- Mem Day wkend had no problems with water levels. Depends on what you are looking for-intense cold whitewater or the chance for more favorable weather and mild class I-II. If you need trip partners for a trip this spring I'd be open to considering. Send me a message or email.
    [email protected]
    Dana

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools