Topic

Attaching velcro to a stretchy elastic strap?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Attaching velcro to a stretchy elastic strap?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

Hello,

I have a pair of bibs that have stretchy elastic shoulder straps. The straps go through buckles and fold back on themselves and attach with velcro. I would like to extend the adjustment range of the straps by either extending or moving the existing velcro down so that i can adjust them to be longer. The current velcro is sewn onto the strap. My first though is to remove the velcro patch and reattach it where i want it. This assumes its not adhered in anyway.

If i were to do this, i would hand sew the velcro patch on (no machine). What type of thread should i use? Is there a particular pattern i should use? the patch is probably an 1" by 5" long.

I need this fixed by Thursday and there's a chance i won't be able to get to it. Can you think of any other quick-fix methods? Maybe a few safety pins? Duct tape? :)

Thanks!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Cut two pieces of webbing and/or elastic, one for each strap.

Add hook Velcro to one end of the webbing and loop to the other.

Attach one end of the new strap to the Velcro at the end of your current strap and one end to the Velcro that is further down on you existing strap.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Yeah, just take a seam ripper and remove all the Velcro, re-position the Velcro to desired position and sew using polyester thread (e.g., gutermanns thread). Stitch around the perimeter of the rectangle and then do a crossing X. The stitching will look like a box with an X in it when done. You can take it to any drycleaner type tailor and they can do it quick. I could even do it for you for free ( I live in Brookline) just give me at least a couple of hours. Good luck!

EDIT Rereading your post I think it's easier to add another slab of Velcro then to remove the current one and reposition. It takes more work to remove/reposition/resew. Also I've never encountered Velcro on a garment that was held on by anything other than thread.

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Daryl:

That's not crazy. The pro would be that i wouldn't have to modify my bibs at all. The con is that there would be twice the potential fail points and double the stiff velcro patches. One way i might be able to get by easily would be to get two pieces of 6-8" x 1" adhesive velcro patches. I could simply stick two together back to back and that would function as the extension strap.

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Konrad:
    That's very generous of you, thanks! I'll try to avoid troubling you, though. Heck, if it snows tonight i might "work from home" tomorrow and venture down to the sewing shop. I live in Davis Square and there's one just a block away. Fun little snow day project.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

"two pieces of 6-8" x 1" adhesive velcro patches"

That'll work.

You could also buy some One Wrap. It comes with hook on one side and loop on the other.

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Ah, One-Wrap is a great idea! I'll get some tonight

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Just to follow up, i got aggressive with it and ripped out the velcro stitching. This motivated me to get to stitching! I just hand sewed it with polyester thread. It held up fine on its first outting. If it starts to fall apart, I'll have a local seamstress/tailor do it right.

Most importantly, the bibs can be adjusted to fit perfectly now!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools