Topic

Is there a decent non-lightweight forum?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Is there a decent non-lightweight forum?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

+1 to Roger's comments regarding learning what NOT to bring.

I dropped more than 12 pounds off my total pack weight shortly after I found this site by simply leaving some stuff behind, specifically:

• Water – Instead of carrying the four quarts I'd need until dinner, I now carry only what I'll need until I reach the next water source
    • Extra Food – I'll admit that I'm still getting my snack weight down (I always seem to be eating leftover snacks on the ride home), but did I really need to carry an extra breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a weekend hike?
    • Clothing – When I first started, I'd carry a clean set of clothing for each day on the trail (2 pairs of socks, boxers, shirt) PLUS a set of camp clothes (fleece pants and pullover).
    • Camp Shoes – I used to carry a pair of Crocs (which weighed a pound) to wear around camp. Now I just loosen the laces on my trail runners a little.

Stick with the site and you'll learn a lot without ever thinking about specific gear.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

None of them have a "Carbon Flame War." So they must be significantly inferior.

RA Amundsen

@grimner

Other forums? Not many, as far as I know (which isn't far). The choice is between traditional backpackers or those who are moving to the light side.
    That is to say, the choice is between two definitions of light: one that locks at the whole ensamble (pack, cloths and body) and one that adds some gizmo to the load because it weighs nothing.

I'm more or less in your situation, but will happily read SUL postings for kicks and tricks, admit with no hint of shame that I'm not there by a long shot and pick other minds on lightweight packing.

After two (painful), years of failing to complete a planned trip, a short spring last year of looking at the philosophy of light backpacking had me not only make the trip, but cut the time from an estimated (sinking heart while underway), three weeks to eight days. And it was with no back-pain or sore feet. Even had warm meals, afternoon tea and more snacks than I eat between Christmas and New Year. And with boots and a pack with MOLLE straps all over.

So just count your own grams and find your own comfort level. It is a shock, tough, to see the American cottage industry for light-weight gear. Coming from a country where every tent and sleeping bag seems ready to go to either Pole or at least Greenland, it is fun to shop below expedition weight and price.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

i'm choking on a fire-hose amount of information now, so thanks for all of the responses. It's also obvious i need to spend more time fully reading through the site and i certainly plan to do so. I'll start working on being comfortable in my own [gear] skin.

to acknowledge one particular point: i'll absolutely be doing many test runs before october, even if it's just out and around my acreage. i definitely dont want to find out gear quirks or failures while out on the trail for a week straight.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

+1 on backpacking.net – although it's a less active forum in general, it is sometimes nice to have another source of opinions.

Also, a useful tactic for dealing with this or any other forum; don't pay too much attention to the extremes – it's like that sports judging thing where they throw out the high and low scores and average the rest. Just ignore those whose attitude is too exclusive. Or rather, just don't engage, since despite the attitude you may find useful information in those posts.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

To me, packing light is about understanding and appreciating the role that weight plays in accomplishing your trip goals. It's not some big race to zero.

Understanding this puts the gear choices of other people in context, and it allows you to evaluate if they might be right for you. The best gear for a 40 mile overnight trip in mid-summer isn't likely the right approach for other trips like casual overnighters or mid-winter mountaineering trips. While certain techniques transcend a wide range of trip goals (ie. replacing Nalgene bottles with gatorade bottles saves 1/4 lbs), other gear choices are a lot more specific in their application.

So ultimately, you need to have a rough idea of what your goals are so you can base your decisions towards meeting them. A common mistake is to latch on to something that a "pro" does and try to apply it your hiking style without consider the goals or context of how it they were using it. I think a classic example is a closed cell foam pad. Andrew Skurka may regularly use one, but he's combining that gear choice with careful site selection (contoured, soft ground) for a good result. It would be a mistake to bring two for you and your wife to use on a wooden tent platform 3 miles from the trailhead.

Even if you're quite content with the weight of your pack now and see no real advantage in going lighter, it's still good to have a basic appreciation for weight so when you do need new gear you can choose the best compromise between weight and other attributes and if that ends up being lighter, you can add in more luxury stuff or take the weight savings. If that ends up being heavier, but it provides you with other benefits like durability, increased functionality etc, that's great if it improves your trip. Even going heavier should be done with weight in mind so that the extra weight is well spent. Ultimately you may be able to put together a gear kit that still weighs 18 lbs, but is more safe, durable and comfortable.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ah, Dan. You're too logical and rational.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

do what you want, and dont worry about it

its not called backackingonlyforthoseundera5lbbaseweight.com ….

weight matters … but skill matters more … getting out even more … and having fun even more

its that simple ;)

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

One person's "old", "heavy" gear is someone else's new lightweight gear (at a discount)…and the gear is usually in great shape anyway.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

"None of them have a "Carbon Flame War." So they must be significantly inferior."

What are you sayin'? :)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"None of them have a "Carbon Flame War." So they must be significantly inferior."

But Whiteblaze has a 17,000+ post thread on basically nothing. (cafe thread) Probably exceeds the total number of BPing posts on all threads.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools