Topic

Alpine Aire?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have been eating primarily Pack-It Gourmet the past few years because I found it superior in taste to Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry. Alpine Aire was recently recommended to me and was curious if anyone else had tried them and what your thoughts are. How do they compare to other brands?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

They were always better than MH but are they phenomenal? Not really. But neither are they horrid.

David Lang

@idahobackpacker

Locale: Northwest U.S.

I have tried several dehydrated meals, and I really like Alpine Aire. They are definitely better than Mountain House or Backpacker's Pantry.

My favorite brand is Natural High. They taste great for freeze dried meals, and they have about half the sodium as MH or BP meals.

Alpine Aire and Natural High are both made by the same company, Richmoor foods.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thanks!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Welll…I haven't tried AlpineAire in years because it used to be the "worst of 'em", largely due to the use of hip ingredients like whole wheat pasta that had a strong, nasty flavor or other such things. Whenever I see it in the store, I still shudder and move away, even though I'm generally always hunting for different options. Heck, I have a few bags of 25-year old AlpineAire that I use as "display models" only — a perfect alternative to eating that stuff?

James Castleberry

@winterland76

"Hunger is the best sauce"
    YMMV, but I prefer Alpine Aire's "Gourmet Reserve" foods to MH.
    I have found all of the following to be palatable, even tasty, depending on how tired/hungry I am. A bit too much flavoring powder, which can be removed when repackaging, but otherwise OK:
    Black Bart Chili w/Beans
    Chicken Gumbo
    Brown Rice w/Chicken
    Hawaiian Style Chicken Teriyaki
    Kung Fu Chicken
    Pineapple Orange Chicken
    Santa Fe Black Beans w/Rice
    Sierra Chicken
    Teriyaki Turkey

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Availability is often a factor in which brand of FD food you can get. Yes, you can order from the internet, but I like to see what I'm buying. Alpine aire is difficult to find around me; REI carries a very small and limited AA inventory.

In the months prior to – or shortly after – hiking season, I search the stores for "new additions" to the currents brands' offerings. If something sounds good, I'll buy ONE of each to try at home. We will set up a tasting panel in the kitchen and try several items at once. We are prepared to supplement items with various spices, chopped onion, pepper, etc. – things that can be carried in bulk on a hike and added as needed to certain meals. We have learned that most manufacturers overstate the amount of water needed to rehydrate (apparently some folks don't bother to stir well when adding water), so always start out with 2 ounces less than called for. We'll adjust from there. Rarely have we had paste or soup that way.

Once the winners (if any) are determined, their names (and any additions and water changes deemed beneficial) are added to our "good to go" list and stored with our hiking gear. Anything we deemed acceptable is eaten for that day's lunch; everything else is fed to the disposal.

The only thing worse than getting on the trail and discovering that the new dinner entree that looked so nice in the store turns out to be dehydrated molten lava is to realize that you have two more of these in your food bag and it's six days until resupply.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Old thread….new experience…I experimented with an ALPINEAIRE meal just to evaluate another option. My “Chicken Bowl Burrito”  was just gawd awful….can’t believe this mess even has a market. My only question: Will REI give me my money back? Yuck!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

For what it’s worth 3.5 years later I am still eating pack it gourmet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools