Topic

Ultimate Directions AK “Race” pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultimate Directions AK “Race” pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ that will be a great addition, looking forward to that :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ interesting

I'm guessing that the UD ones will be 20-22 oz as that seems to be the de-facto running bottle size, but maybe not??????

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

The prototype I tested was 20-22oz & there was also a smaller bottle. I don't know what the final product will be, but I guess not too far different.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

How do these upcoming UD soft style bottles work with water and electrolyte type liquids? I know the soft sided Hydraflask works great for more viscous fueling supplements like Perpetuem and gels. They also roll up nicely and take up little space in the storage pockets once emptied. I keep picturing myself wrestling with a floppy structure-less water bag while running. Salomon's answer to this was an odd glove/handheld system that just seems fussy and gimmicky.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

It's a good question, but I don't know. I've used them only for water. I can't imagine there would be any problem with sports drinks, which are essentially the same viscosity as water. Remains to be seen how well they will work with gels. I tend to drink a fairly concentrated sports beverage (i.e., 1000+ cal of powder in a 24 oz bottle), so I'm interested to see how these will work for that.

F. R.
    BPL Member

@fugitiveride

Locale: Syldavia

Has anyone seen a comparison of the AK vest to the Mountain Hardwear vest?

Also, have you tried carrying your phone in the front pocket? I like to use my phone to take pictures, so I want it accessible.

I currently have the Salomon S-Labs 12 pack, but I don't like it b/c it's hard to remove and also a bit more pack than I need.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I own the MH Fluid 6 which looks like the same harness setup as the vest. The vest looks like they've added bottle holders up front-this is a new feature- can't comment on how well it works w/ bottles, but the harness setup works well. I'd rate it as effective as the AK vest.

I recently purchased a Osprey Rev 1.5, it doesn't have bottle holders up front (nice hydration setup however), but does have a dedicated pocket for a smart phone that's pretty slick. It carries extremely well, I've been using it exclusively this season.

F. R.
    BPL Member

@fugitiveride

Locale: Syldavia

Why did you switch? Also, what's the largest bottle size you've used in the AK?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I have a weakness for packs :) Once I did try it though, I think I made a good choice- the pack really carries like a dream.

just the basic 20 oz running bottles, don't like the UD ones so switched them for Nathan ones

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Just thought I'd chime in about the MH. I've used the MH fluid vest on quite a few runs and hikes since april, and I love it. I've also tried on an ultimate direction, and taken a couple runs with a salomon s-lab hydro 12 and I like how the MH vestpack carries better. The bottle pockets on the front are perfectly suited for softflasks, and with those, it has the least bounce out of any pack that I've used. There's enough room to carry a phone in the same pocket as a softflask, or depending on the size of the phone, there is a zip pocket between the bottle pocket and your chest where my droid moto g fits.

What I like about the MH is that its as simple as can be, and it fits like cloths. I've found to keep other vests from bouncing, you have to really crank down the straps, which constricts your breathing too much. This one is just more ergonomic and you can leave it looser on all but the fast techy downhills.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools