Topic

Another MYOG Trek Pole thread – 3.3oz per

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another MYOG Trek Pole thread – 3.3oz per

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

because it looks cool, duh.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

They do look cool. Plus, a basket will help keep the shaft from getting lodged down in crevices, and thus less chance to break your fancy CF pole. At 7g, I figure why not. Unless Skurka hikes with 3oz poles probably not apples to apples.

Ryan

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Small baskets kept my LT4's from dropping into small crannies and snapping countless times along the PCT. IMHO, for a few scant grams, baskets are a no-brainer.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

i see a market for a new bracelet… "WWASD"

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

No baskets unless there is snow for me. Not using straps allows me to let go if i get stuck. They fit in my Osprey storage bungee better with no baskets.

Re: using straps like xc skiers.. problem is that while your foot is down you are a stationary object that pushing with your arms does not move. Unlike skiing where you are gliding. on flats poles are for balance.. like a mogul skier.. tap and step. on uphills I use them like extra hand holds to pull my body up so i don't have to push as much with my legs. downhill i tend to use the very tops of the grip and lower myself down or slow my momentum.

maybe it's the rock climber in me but i did 500mi last summer with no hand fatigue from hiking poles.. and the Whites and Greens have some of the toughest ups and downs you can find so it isn't for not trying.

Michael, I'm curious how you found shafts on Craigslist for free..

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

it took about a week, but someone contacted me with some used clubless shafts taking up space in his garage and said I could have them. They ended up being a little longer than 42" (good thing) and my total trekking pole length is 47", about an inch short of a perfect 90 degree elbow bend. not a deal breaker.

here's the ad i posted:

wanted: ~42" graphite club shafts (pair)

Looking for a pair of shafts to use in a trekking pole project. Either bare shafts or junk clubs with good shafts. Want to spend as close to $0 as possible, price negotiable.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Nice, I'll give it a shot. do you remember what the shaft length was? i'd be aiming for 45-46" total for my "happy medium" 116cm length.

i wonder if BD or Leki would sell a spare grip.. i have one spare grip from a broken pole with an ID of 18mm.. not sure if that will be too wide or not.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

i think they were right around 45". The GG grips and tips fit almost entirely on the shaft, so not much buffer length is added by those pieces.

you'd be surprised what people are willing to do if you just ask. craigslist is that perfect medium with which to ask. :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"you'd be surprised what people are willing to do if you just ask. craigslist is that perfect medium with which to ask. :)"

hmmm… I always just leave stuff on the street and put a "free" sign on it

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

if you want it gone faster, put a curb alert on CL and POOF gone.

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

I went to the local Golfsmith store, offered to buy a couple of old used shafts, and the guy gave me two for free. I added $3.50 Leki replacement tips from the REI discount bin with gorilla glue. I've hiked with the golf club grips, but will probably replace those this summer if I get around to it. Added straps from an old lanyard with a small screw. Don't collapse, aren't adjustable, no baskets, no idea of flex amount, and i havent painted or weighed them, but they work for me. They are just stupid simple and cheap.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools