Topic

Simple Squares

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm always looking for tasty 'bars' to use backpacking. Since most of my trips aren't long (usually 1-2 nights), I'm not too concerned about calorie per weight and such, I just want something tasty and easy.

I noticed these Simple Squares in my local organic market, and decided to try them out. Very tasty, small, easily packed. For me, a definite winner. I'll be taking them on backpacking trips from now on.

1 bar weighs 45g, and has 230 calories. 17 grams fat (5 saturated), 16 grams carbs, 6 grams protein. 95 grams sodium, no cholesterol.

Simple ingredients: organic cashews, organic almonds, organic honey, unsweetened coconut, organic vanilla extract, sea salt. That's it in the basic bar. Other bars have an additional ingredient, like rosemary, or coffee, or ginger, etc.

And, as I said, quite tasty!

http://www.simplesquares.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

"1 bar weighs 45g, and has 230 calories. 17 grams fat (5 saturated), 16 grams carbs, 6 grams protein. 95 grams sodium, no cholesterol."

Sounds really tasty. How many grams of fiber?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

3 grams fiber, 10 grams sugar.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"3 grams fiber, 10 grams sugar."

Thanks, Doug. That puts them squarely in my sweet spot. Gonna have to give them a try.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks, Doug.

I buy these Earnest Eats bars, available in various stores here in Portland (haven't looked at where they are made). They are similar, though slightly heavier (54g) and less calories (210). Anyway, it's another option if you see them.

The second ingredient in the "bars" is "almond butter" which I think is what makes them so good.

http://www.earnesteats.com/

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hey Steven,

I've had the Earnest Eats bars, they sell them at my market. I used to use them for breakfast. They are quite tasty. What I prefer about the Simple Squares is that they're about half the size and a bit more moist. But you can't go wrong with either!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://gazingin.com/2013/01/18/cranberry-date-oat-bars/

You might like these, That I came up with recently. They hold for 3 days, so for short trips work great. They were delcious. And freaking high in fiber…lol!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools