Topic

High and Cold Sock System?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism High and Cold Sock System?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Oh Fool
    BPL Member

@dansol-2

Locale: So. Cal

so i have been hanging out with a lot of professional mountain guides lately, and most of them swear by wearing one wool sock (even on everest, vinson massif, etc.). as a lifetime double sock (liner+wool) wearer i was slightly taken aback.

So, Im wondering what kind of sock system (single, double, vapor barrier, etc.) everyone here uses (I'm thinking more in the <0deg, >12,000ft realm), and why they like it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Depends on the boot and application. Modern CCF liners in double boots are vapor barriers and should be very warm, so no need for more than one sock. Single boots could benefit from a VBL sock, but most folks seem to favor those for warmer conditions and single push efforts were keeping boots dry is not so relevant.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

As Dave said – it depends on the shoe or boot.
    I wear a thick wool sock plus a very thin nylon liner. My wife prefers just a medium wool sock.

Cheers

Oh Fool
    BPL Member

@dansol-2

Locale: So. Cal

:

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

it all depends on the boot and how it fits. it just so happens that with my current double boot i wear a thin wool sock. i'm not looking for a sock system for warmth with the boots i have, but as the interface between my foot and the inner boot. with my prior dbl i wore two thick wool mountaineering socks. in that case, the boots were sized up so that i could wear two pairs of socks for warmth and fit. in my single insulated boot i wear a thin and a thick wool sock. these boots were sized up to accomodate a thick sock for added warmth. i can also change out my insoles which will result in a change in my sock(s) choice. you will find as many different sock combinations as there are people and boots.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools