Topic

CAMP Magix 10 crampons $63 free shipping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals CAMP Magix 10 crampons $63 free shipping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Doug L
    BPL Member

@mothermenke

Locale: Upstate NY

Unfortunately does not come with the usual anti-botts:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11755949&cp=3677347.11360109.3688336

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

I have the Camp Magix 10 and they are excellent and it's a very good price.
    They are intermediate between Kahtoola microspikes and real crampons. They are very similar to the well reviewed Hillsound Pro trail crampons (non-pro HS are no good) which is also $63. When I compared the two at EMS last year I preferred the Camp to the Hillsound, but have only used the Camp. A positive review of the Hillsound Pro by Philip at: http://sectionhiker.com/hillsound-trail-crampon-pro/

Last year the ice on local trails was thick and hard and microspikes weren't adequate and the Camps were great.

Antiballing plates for the Camp Magix are available from Camp for $12,
    http://www.camp-usa.com/products/crampons/antiballing-plates.asp

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Walter,

Can you tell me why you went with the camp's in the end? I have the hillsounds, but it's time to pick up another pair for my girlfriend and I'm a bit torn between the two models. Weight wise, I believe the hillsounds are lighter to boot and include the antibott plates. Did you notice a difference in crampon teeth length? Thanks

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Just an update for those interested. I went in to EMS to do a head to head comparison and groping of the camp magix traxion and the Hillsound pros. I already own the hillsounds but was thinking of getting the Magix for the boo. Here are my observations:

1) Camp Magix are aggressive and have long teeth…like a regular 12 point mountaineering crampon (e.g., grivel g12). This I liked.
    2) The EMS pics are not 100% accurate…the pics are for the Camp Magix 10, but what they have in stock is the Camp Magix Traxion…the strap/closure system differs between these two.
    3) The closure system on the Camp Traxion made me extremely hesistant…it's simple webbing and a 1/2 inch plastic dual adjust buckle. The incorrect pictures show the traditional dual metal ring closures seen on mountaineering crampons
    4) The Camps can be adjusted on the fly like a traditional mountaineering crampon, the Hillsounds require an allen wrench and more time.
    5) what I really wanted was the hillsounds closure system (awesome ratcheting system akin to snowboard bindings) and the camp's longer/more aggressive teeth.

I ultimately went with what I already knew, the hillsound pros. Both are the same price right now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools