Topic

Polarguard Delta Vest-2.45 ounces

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Polarguard Delta Vest-2.45 ounces

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Polarguard Delta Vest – 2.45 ounces

I want to include a light insulated vest in my May/June "SuperUltraLight" (SUL) AT hike gear list. The problem was weight. Even if the BMW Cocoon Vest had been out it would have still weighed over 6 ounces for a size medium.

Since my Polarguard Delta / Silk Sleeping Bag (8.76 oz) worked so well I decided to make a Vest out of one layer of 2.16 ounce a sq yard Polarguard Delta and Silk.

To keep the Vest weight as low as possible I made it similar to a pull over but without sides. No collar, no zippers, no pockets, all insulation and a little Silk. The construction should have been easy but about half way through I realized my sewing sequence was off. I normally make a full size prototype but I had made something like this once about 12 years ago. Now I was doing everything the hard way.

Anyway, it is done and weights a little less than my forecast of 2.5 ounces. Total weight is 2.45 ounces. The Vest will use two pieces of cord to snug it to me.

"

Mike Fuetterer

@nokky7

Locale: Germany

Hej Bill.
    Its always amacing how many ice ideas for gram shafing do you find.
    Looks very nice.

Like to se a picture with you wering it. No drafts at the side?

Ceers Mike

david chan

@davidc-1

Bill, I don't think I fully understand the logic of your "vest with no sides" design. I can see that not having a zip would make it hard to get a normal vest on and off, and your design solves that. I can also see that your cords will enable you to vary the girth depending on the bulk of whatever you wear it over. What I don't understand is whether you have sized it so that the two sides actually meet once it has been "snugged", or so that they will never meet and drafts will be handled by whatever the vest is worn over.

Either way, it looks like a lot of additional warmth for 2.5 oz. Up to your usual standards.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Mike and David,

I tried to take some pictures last night and you can see how they turned out. I will try and take some more later outside in natural light if it isn't raining. For now you can see something with me wearing the Vest with the Insulated Chaps. The Chaps come up to my arm pits.

Mike you may not have seen the insulated Chaps / Bib Overalls I made some time ago. David, you must have forgotten about them. If the pictures had turned out better it would have answered some of your questions.

I am going to make another pair of Insulated Chaps but out of Polarguard Delta and Silk. These will be lighter than the ones in the pictures.

david chan

@davidc-1

Thanks Bill. I hadn't forgotten your insulated chaps, but I get a little bit lost as to which gear is included in which of your gear lists. One of the things I admire about your approach is the way you combine alternative sets of gear, or wear one set in different combinations for slightly different conditions. I therefore expect that you will sometimes wear the vest with the chaps and sometimes without, even during the same hike.

If you read this before you have your next photo session I would appreciate a photo of the vest worn over light coloured clothing to really show its details.

David

Mike Fuetterer

@nokky7

Locale: Germany

Hej Bill

Thanks the pictures make it clear. Didnt know about your rest of clever things, wich works as e real nice system together. As Dave says clever idea.
    Ceers Mike

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

The Polarguard Delta and Silk Vest now weighs 3 ounces.

I decide to make inserts for my vest. I had a little black silk left so I made one to see how much it would weigh. I could add these to the vest for an additional 1/2 ounce. This would bring the total weight up to 3 ounces. I sewed the inserts to the back part of the vest only. This way I can tie it to close the sides or tie it to leave the sides open.

These are new pictures showing the insulated insert added to the vest. This should make it warmer. All the Vest parts use one full layer of Polarguard Delta.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools