Topic

Need some input on trail running shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need some input on trail running shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on Saucony's Kinvara and Peregrine 2 trail shoes? I'm looking to pick up a breathable pair of trail runners to replace my goretex boots. I'm new to trail shoes, so any suggestions would be welcomed. All I know is that I want a light breathable trail shoe that will dry quick, offer a little stability, and I'm leaning toward something with a low drop (not minimalist though). My road shoes are Brooks PureConnect.

Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

I would recommend trying out some Brooks Cascadia 7 or 8s. I love them so much I ordered 2 more pairs after my first few long runs with them. I plan to use them for hiking as well.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Any shoe will work if it fits. Watch out for the rubber bumper on the toes of the Peregrines. They peel off. You can find my thoughts here:

http://popupbackpacker.com/the-minimalist-shoe-craze/

Chase Norton

@micronorton

I swear by Inov-8 shoes and wear different models depending on my activity. For trail running, I love the TrailRoc 235. Just make sure to buy after market insoles.

Chase

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Love Inov-8, love Brooks. Both great shoes, especially the Brooks.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

Speaking for myself, my shoe selections work out best if I largely ignore the advice of others and wear what fits me best, Asics in my case. Now when I'm setting off for a long hike I don't research what's new and good, I just buy Asics in my size and I haven't had a bad fit since. Asics might not work for you at all. My advice is to try on lots of pair of shoes and find the ones that feel right.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

I'm picking up some Montrail Masochists mostly because of a great deal on Sierra Trading Post (saving for a new pack, so every little bit counts). From what I've read, these shoes should do the trick and it doesn't seem like I'll be sacrificing quality for price. My last three road shoes were Brooks, but I'm hoping these will win me over. If not, I've only lost a fraction of what it would cost to buy a new pair anywhere else.

Anyone else using these?

@Buck
    – great advice. If these work for me, I'll probably stick with them.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

Tyler,

I have run in all different types of minimal Trail Shoes. All three shoes My personal favorites for breathable minimal (not barefoot) trail shoes (as they apply to hiking):

1) Altra Superior – I've also heard from a good friend liz thomas (triple crowner and mega hiking superstar) this is my favorite hiking.
    2) Merrell Mixmaster – Super breathable durable shoe
    3) New Balance – Mt110 or whatever the newest incantation is

Good luck in your search.

Dale Caldwell
    Spectator

@dalemc

Locale: Coastal Georgia

This shoe can't be beat as far as I'm concerned. It's so nice to finally have a lightweight shoe without a heal and with a toe box shaped like a foot that also has enough support underneath for those who don't want ultra minimal barefoot style shoes (that for me just don't cut it on rough terrain). There is no other trail runner I'd even consider unless you want even less shoe. Then I'd recommend the Vivobarefoot Neo Trails.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Those do look sweet. The design seems to incorporate a lot of good features. If I had that much to drop on shoes, I would. I know that statement might get criticized, but I'm not hiking more than once a month in this season of life…if even that much.

I'll report back on the Montrail Masochists. They seem to have a good following, and the features + price were really appealing.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

If you like the Pure Connect for your everyday running shoe, why not give the Pure Grit 2s a shot as your trail shoe?

I use the Pure Flows as my day to day running and gym shoe and the Pure Grits for trail running and some UL backpacking.

I understand Brooks has replaced the sole on the Pure Grit 2s with a new, grippier rubber. Once I wear out my pairs of Pure Grit 1.0, I'll be going to the version 2.0s. They fit my feet really well.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

I feel like I've said it a few times already, but price was a huge issue here. I had a steep discount at Sierra Trading Post and because I'm saving for a pack AND needed shoes I opted for Montrail Masochists.

Otherwise, I'm right there with you on that thought.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

Sierra Trading Post,

If I were going with something on that site only i'd go with the merell trail gloves or sonic trail gloves

Best fitting barefoot shoe with AWESOME performance, un/fortunately its a really minimal shoe depending on how you look at it. I love them and could run in them everyday.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I love hiking in my Inov8 Roclite 295's. The sticky rubber lugged sole design is great for the trails I hike in the Golden Trout Wilderness and the sticky rubber even gives me a bit of grip when I use them for wet wading while fly fishing. They have just enough stick in them when on wet rock that I can leave my heavy wading boots at home and still feel comfortable wading the Southern Sierra streams I love to fish.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools