Topic

Rehydrating Dried Soup Vegetables

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Rehydrating Dried Soup Vegetables

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jim Buch

@jim_buch

I was looking for some Manischewitz dried vegetable mixes that were used 20 years ago, and could only find some vegetable soup mixes from Manischewitz. These contained green pease, barley, yellow peas, lima beans and egg noodles.

The soup cooking instructions call for simmering for two (2) hours.

I soaked the mixture in water overnight in a small Rubbermaid sealed dontainer, and the peas and beans had been softened up to have the approximate taste and texture of fresh uncooked peas and beans. Soaked up a lot of water in the process.

One plan is to just consider eating them as raw veggies. Another plan is to cook them by the freezer bag and cozy method. The third plan is to just forget about this as a food source.

Has anyone had experience with this approach?

At one time, there was a vegetable mix with corn, carrots, onions and I have forgotten what else that I would carry as emergency rations. The four or six ounce package was stated to be made from a pound or two of vegetables.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You could make it up at home, then dehydrate it. A bit more work, but it would become "instant" soup and all it would need is water added and a few minutes to sit. You then could add other ingredients to it that take a long time to cook (when cooking it at home).

Jim Buch

@jim_buch

Yes, that would be an easy way.

I forgot to add to my original post that I am interested in what I can do with store-bought stuff I can find while on the trip. I am trying to not have to mail ahead a lot of supplies. That sort of planning and scheduling is difficult for me to do.

Another way is to buy bulk dehydrated vegetables from many commercial online sources and mail them ahead, but again that mailing is what I seek to avoid.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

One option for the trail is buying Gerber Toddler veggie snacks. I kid not! They are freeze dried corn (for now, maybe they will make more….) and can be found in many stores, in the baby aisle!

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

Thanks to Sarah I am dehydrating everything in sight… frozen veggies work really well and save the time of slicing and dicing in most cases. My three favorites are spaghetti sauce (this REALLY works well), cooked pasta (saves on fuel and the end result is about as good as if you boiled it in the field) and ground meat ala Sara's web site. I will get my favorite jar of spaghetti sauce at the store and dry it down to "leather" and then put it in the freezer broken up. Then I chunk this in the blender (the freezing seems to help it get chopped up even finer in the blender). Then I do the ground meat and pasta. I choose a pasta that can pack "flat" like bowties or such. A little red pepper and parmesan cheese (from Minimus) and I am in heaven!

I have no doubt I could make a great soup using a similar process. I basically am far more confident with my dehydrator than ever before. Practice, practice, practice…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I finally got the organic olive oil packets from Minimus. All I have to say, is Dang! They are way better than the original version they sold. They also have organic basalmic vinegar now.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

OK, Sarah… so that adds up to $2.00… what did you order with the other $18… :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hehheh. Yeah right, I ordered 10 of the oil! The small mylar packets of dry milk that make 8 ounces (no measuring!), peanut butter packets, the new mini-mini roll of paper towels (real tiny!), and yes, I do the worst: I buy the plastic boxes of cereal for my son. Then I don't have to carry bowls. And he doesn't spill them. And they crush down to nothing.
    I love Minimus! $20 there is a ton ;-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools