Topic

GG Spinntwinn and Summertime bug protection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Spinntwinn and Summertime bug protection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Brinkman

@dukebot

Locale: So Cal

So I have one of these amazing tarps and I have slept under it in the rain so far and it is interesting that I get a much better night sleep under the tarp than I do in the tent so far with no bugs. My concern however is summertime when the bugs come out. What do you fellow tarp users recommend in terms of bug protection under this tarp? I will mostly use it at a solo shelter but at times it will be used as a 2 person as well. I'm 6'2 180lbs.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Ive been using a Borah Gear bug bivy for bug protection with all of my shelters, including my SpinnTwinn.

Great price, quick turn around, nice quality.

I opted for the side zip option, regular length, wide size. I'm 5'10" 210lbs, athletic build. Plenty of room in the bivy. Packs down tiny and weighs about 6oz.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

MLD Bug Bivy, simple – light – effective!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I use the MLD Bug Bivy with my Spinntwinn. Good writeup and pictures on that combination here

http://www.briangreen.net/2011/07/tarp-bivy-combo-your-sub-1lb-shelter.html

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Tarp Setup

1.25 from Yama Mountain gear. http://www.yamamountaingear.com/gear-room/net-tents
    I had him put in a 1/2 solid front and full back. Love it.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

David,

That's a nice setup. I was thinking about getting a 1.25 shelter for my Spinntwinn. Have you had your setup in the rain? Do you need extra coverage in the front or back?

Mike

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Mike,
    I've had it in rain, but never real heavy. I had him put the full sil nylon back in just for that eventuality, but so far no real chance to test it. I'm pretty sure that if I dropped the back fairly low it would handle a lot of rain and wind. He does really nice work and is very easy to deal with.

Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools