Topic

2nd MYOG backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2nd MYOG backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I finished my second homemade backpack. I had already made one Ray-Way backpack which I wore out on my AT thru-hike. I added a hip-belt to my last pack but it stressed the fabric significantly and every outer pocket on my pack had several holes in them by the end of the trail. I made a lot of modifications to the design based on my experiences and preferences. The final weight is 15.2oz which is more than the last one I made, but the hip belt is a lot more comfortable and this bag will be much more durable. I could also save an ounce just by taking the sternum strap and elastic off.
    back
    right
    front
    left
    zippered pocket
    water bottle pocket
    pad pocket
    I used oxford for the back panel, bottom and straps. I used 2.2 oz ripstop for the sides and 1.1 oz silnylon for the extension.

I used Schoeller Dryskin (I think that's what it was called) for the zippered pocket and the bottom of the side pockets. I salvaged the Schoeller from pants that I got on sale, tried to turn into zip offs (complete failure) and couldn't even use for shorts because I've since lost a bunch of weight. The zippered pocket was actually a cell phone pocket on the pants. I wanted a more durable stretch fabric on the bottom of the pocket because I got huge holes on both pockets because of the abrasion against the bottom of the water bottle when putting the pack down. The mesh is a stretch Lycra from Quest Outfitters.

The last pack I made had a simple hip-belt from 1.5" webbing. It started to pull out of the side seems and wasn't as comfy as it could have been so I added padded hip-belt wings to distribute the stress over a wider area and reduce abrasion on my hip bones. I also reinforced the sides and back panels with a double layer of oxford. I cut the reinforcement pieces at a 45 degree angle so the fibers would be less likely to pull apart. I also changed the shape of the pack bottom so the hip-belt would come out of a straight seam instead of the half-circle bottom called for in the directions.

I didn't sew on the sock drying straps and used a piece of elastic instead. I rarely used the straps and this way I can remove the elastic if I want. The elastic can also compress the bag if it's mostly empty.

I added a pad holding pocket on the inside of the bag made from nobul1 from Titanium Goat.

I made a removable sternum strap which I doubt I'll end up using. I didn't really miss it on the old one unless the pack was mostly empty on a town day.

I made some other simple changes like adding the webbing along the side seams so that I can add compression cord if I like, adding the ice axe loops on the bottom (which I only ever use to attach a pulk sled in the winter), changing some seams and tucking webbing ends in to give a more professional look, and using a box stitch on the straps instead of straight stitches.

I also figured this time I'd push myself to go for a more professional look so I went with the black and green scheme.

Let me know what you guys think.

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

Locale: Midwest, US

You did an excellent job. I appreciate the use of contrasting colors on the pack, makes it stand out and indicates a superior level of skill to have the confidence to do it that way. Thanks for sharing.

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

System was acting up

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

System was acting up

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

System was acting up

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Looks good! One quick question. I've never been able to find colored webbing to order due to different sizes and texture. Where did you get the lime, and how do you like it? Some webbing I find to be far to slick.

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I used 3/8" grosgrain that i found at a craft shop and the 5/8" I bought from Amazon.com. I used the 3/8" for the loops along the side seems and for reinforcement on the front. I used the 5/8" for the top strap, ice axe loops, and on the hip-belts. I was lucky when I ordered the webbing that it perfectly matched the stuff I'd already bought. I really like the look of it but it's not as good quality as what I got from Quest Outfitters because it's really meant for crafts and stuff. I'm not too worried about the side tabs because they don't really get any use and I figured I can replace the top one easily if it wears out.

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

country brook designs sell webbing in a number of colors, in a variety of weights. Prices are reasonable, shipping less so.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Nice job on the pack. I really like the neon green on the black. It's a striking contrast, and you pull it off well.

Re: Webbing Source

Strapworks.com also sells webbing in wide variety of colors. Based on the pictures on their site, it looks like it's high quality webbing. Of course, you can never really know for sure until you have it in hand.

I ordered a few short pieces as a sample, so I'll let you know what I think when it comes in. I have my own MYOG backpack planned, so this will be excellent information to have.

Oh, and their shipping prices seem very reasonable.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thanks for the help guys. Let me know what you find Clayton.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

That is a sharp lookin' pack!

Tanner M

@tan68

before i read the secret of the zippered pocket, i thought to myself what a wonderful zipper/pocket-trim.. :)

rainshed also has colored webbing. some nylon and some polypropylene.

years ago, i wanted a Camaro painted these colors. maybe not so neon for the green for two-toned paint job. maybe that light green Nissan uses some now. or all black with neon green stripes. when two paint colors and/or stripes were cool…

Jeffrey Stylos
    Spectator

@jsstylos

Locale: Northeast

Love the look of this pack, very stylish.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools