Topic

GG SpinnTwinn in the wind

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG SpinnTwinn in the wind

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I have the SpinnTwinn and have the aluminum pole set you can buy with it. I have noticed that in wind or a tight pitch that they will flex under stress. I shot a video today to illustrate. You can see significant flex at the 7 second mark. Those winds were under 25mph, so not that strong. I am concerned about that pole snapping if I was in a storm. Just wondering if others have had experience with that kind of flex from aluminum poles on a Tarp and whether carbon poles were any better. My thoughts on Carbon poles is that they might be more likely to snap under pressure vs aluminum.

My alternative is to use a second trekking pole in lieu of a dedicated pole but I have fixed length trekking poles and so have always preferred the convenience of a dedicated aluminum pole for the Tarp.

YouTube video

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

After posting I saw this thread http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=71961

That gives me some options if I opt to replace with carbon fiber.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools