Topic

Exped Synmat UL 7 question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped Synmat UL 7 question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Interested if anyone has used the Synmat UL 7 in winter conditions. Was it enough or did you need a thin piece of foam or reflective "blanket" under it for any additional warmth?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

-7 C overnight. Had some 1/8" foam from Gossamer (I think) under it. Was warm.

Cheers

Jo-Anne Clancy

@jkclancy

Locale: SE Australia

Like Roger, I have also used the Synmat UL7 teamed with a 1/8 Gossamer Gear pad and I found this combination plenty warm at -10 C (14F). I'm a middle aged female side sleeper who really feels the cold.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I've also taken my Synmat UL7 down to the low 20s, perhaps high teens (*F), with a 1/4" foam mat underneath and had plenty of insulation from the ground.

I'm not sure if it affects the pad's warmth at all, but I did experience quite a bit of internal condensation inside the mat from blowing it up with my breath given the drastic temp differences between the ambient overnight air temps and my warm breath. Probably will look into some kind of pump sack for cold winter trips in the future.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Nico, give the Schnozzel a look. It's excellent for inflating your Synmat and makes and excellent dry bag for your bag.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Just the Synmat UL7 = not warm enough when the ground is frozen. I can still catch a bit of sleep, but I'm obviously losing heat so I need to roll from one side to the other every 30-60 min.

With a torso sized RidgeRest underneath, nice and toasty at -28 C / -19 F last week.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I'm fine down to the mid-twenties F. Colder than that and I add a piece of 3/8" foam which also provides insurance if the UL7 springs a leak. Another thumbs up for the pump bag.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

+ 1 on all Dondo's comments. mirrors my experience.

Marcel Bak

@rzez

Add RR / RR Deluxe and sleep comfy at -25 C/-30 C.

Right now testing Down Mat 7 UL = -12 C and v. comfortable (600 g 860 CUIN down bag).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools