Topic

Osprey Exos 58 – Need help with sizing or other recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Osprey Exos 58 – Need help with sizing or other recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I tried on a few packs today and need some help with sizing and/or recommendations for other packs that would fit me better. I'm 6'3'' with a 31" waist and ~20" torso…although I think that measurement is off because every medium pack so far is a little short.

The pack that I really want to work for me is an Osprey Exos 58, medium – The waistbelt fit perfect, but the torso length seems to be about an inch too short. Do the load lifters come in at too low of an angle here? I have the waistbelt sitting in the right place.
    Exos 58 Medium Load Lifter Straps

I also tried on a large Exos 46 (not enough volume) and the waist was a hair to big, while the torso seemed just right. And then I also tried on a medium GG Crown 60 and it was also too short in the torso, but fine in the waist.

So apparently I'm a medium waist, with a large torso. Should I try an Exos 58 in large and see if that fits, or are there other packs out there to consider?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Try an EXOS 58 in a Large size. Not that many extra ounces.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

It's hard to tell with load lifters these days. On the classic big heavy packs, with aluminum stays that reached well above the shoulders, the load lifters would be almost even with the earlobes. Certainly they would be angled down at about 45-degrees. But modern light packs aren't that tall, so the lifter straps often aren't much above the shoulders. (Nor do they work as well, but that's another discussion.)

All this is a lengthy way of saying, it depends. If the pack torso length feels okay otherwise, this pack might be fine. The top of the shoulder harness (where it attaches to the back of the pack) doesn't look too low, and that would be an obvious sign. But that's a little hidden in this pic. If you purchased the pack at a store with a good return policy, you could take it for a weekend hike and see how it feels after 10 or 20 miles — that's always the key thing for me.

(I really wanted to like the Exos 58 as a winter pack, but I'm too large in the hips/waist and the frame dug in. Most painful.)

You could look at similar packs that have interchangeable hip belts. Perhaps the ULA Catalyst, for example. With ULA I would definitely get the Large torso pack, as they seem to run a little short in my experience. But then you can get a medium hip belt to go with it.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

I have the belt tightened with my iliac crest sitting in the middle of the belt. This is a perfect fit and is incredibly comfortable. A large would probably not fit as well.
    Exos 58 Medium Waist Belt

Here's a little closer image of the shoulder straps and where they meet the pack. I have my shoulders pulled forward in this shot to expose the back a little more, so keep that in mind.
    Exos 58 Medium Load Lifter Close Up

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

In your first pic it doesn't "look" like you need any more length in the torso. The strap wrap looks good.

I think, as Ken said, that is the nature of load lifters on these types of packs.

The last picture throws everything off, FWIW.

You need to try one out loaded up…grab one from REI and test it out for 20-60 miles.

If it fits your gear, and doesn't pull your shoulders…that is, it transfers comfortably to your hips, then you are good to go.

-Mark in St. Louis

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Assuming the correct placement for the belt is having the iliac crest in the center of the belt, the second picture is a better representation of where the shoulder straps meet the pack, and where that corresponds to my shoulders. The first shoulder picture has the belt sitting ~1-2" higher than the second shoulder picture.

Oh, and like I said, my shoulders are pulled way forward in the last picture to get my shoulders off the pack, so you can see how far down the straps attach to the frame…that gap isn't normal.

Once the large gets here and I can load it with my gear (~28 lbs), I'll see if the belt is too big and go from there. I also emailed Osprey to see if they would make an Exos 58 with a large torso and medium belt.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

Loosten the load lifters and tighten the shoulder straps.That thing might just fit OK.Lifters are way too tight now.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

If this helps…
    Exos Medium and Large comparison

Large is an Exos 46, Medium is an Exos 58. They should have the same torso/waist size.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Many of the granite gear packs have a removable hipbelt. You can order the other size from their website.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

John, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know that.

I'm still deciding between the Crown 60 and the Exos 58, but I'm thinking a Crown 60 with a long torso might be a better fit.

Crown 60 regular torso – almost fits, but I could use something a little longer
    GG Crown 60 Regular Torso

Crown 60 medium hipbelt tightened up all the way to make it fit. Not sure if a small would be a better option.
    GG Crown 60 Medium Hipbelt

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The Exos Large looks too long in the torso. The Medium looks just about right. All this assumes that you are happy with the placement of the hip belt, and that you have a full load in the pack.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Yeah the hipbelt was great in that picture of the medium. The shoulder straps felt like they were digging into the front of my shoulders/upper chest. Any tips for alleviating that? I had ~28 lbs of gear in the pack (a little more than I would normally take, for good measure).

I think I'm trying too hard to compare it to my Gregory Baltoro 65.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

When I moved from my old Gregory to an osprey Exos 46 a few years ago, I was puzzled by the hip belt placement. The Gregory belt goes around the iliac crests, whereas the osprey sits ON TOP of them…at your waist. It is not supposed to wrap around your pelvis but sit in top of it. Initially this felt wrong, like the pack was too short…but as soon as I took a hike with it I loved it.

Not sure if this is a woman thing or a Gregory vs Osprey thing. But play around with that…and you can't really tell until you load it up with real weight.

Good luck!!

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

This is all pretty fascinating. At this point the only thing I'm sure of is that: A) I feel really fat seeing pics of someone cinching down a waist belt to damn-near it's minimum, and B) I wear my pack really low.

That said the medium Exos did look like it had the best shoulder pad fit but honestly I think it boils down to simply how it feels and carries. Everyone is different, really different. For me, they measured me in REI as a 19.5 but my large Exos is great because I simply can't stand wearing a hip-belt across the illiac ridge of my pelvis. Feels too high. Hurts my "slightly widened by fast food, size 38" gut. Places the load too high, which is to say, directly in line with where I have 3 herniated discs in my back. So as a result that ridge, for me, is about 1" higher than the top edge of the waist belt.

What I'm trying to say is, go hike. Do a couple overnights, see how things shake out. Maybe you'll be surprised. I kept trying to convince myself that, despite my body hurting and speaking to the contrary, that the the REI / forum folks MUST be right about hipbelt placement. Fast forward to me realizing I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake *sarcasm* and that if I break with convention a bit I'll get a better result, and now I'm thrilled with my (new) pack.

Whatever works!

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

So this is what it comes down to – after trying on an Exos 48 and 56 in both medium and large, and a medium Granite Gear Crown 60, I've landed on going with a Crown 60 custom ordered with a small hipbelt and long torso. The Exos line doesn't fit me…at all.

BUT, I have not placed an order with Granite Gear yet, because I want to come and see if you guys have any suggestions, specifically with the ULA Ohm 2.0 or any other cottage pack that has the option of ordering different torso and hip belt sizes.

So fire away with options, but keep it simple. I've read reviews on each of these packs, so I'm more-so looking for recommendations by those who have used them and can make a real-life comparison, not a list of specs.

Here's what I need:

50-60 Liters max
    35 lb. capacity if needed – normal loads will be 20-28 lbs.
    I like stretch/mesh pockets on the exterior for tarp and rain gear
    Options with support – removable stays/backpanel (or even Klymit Airbeam)
    Near 32 oz.
    Roll-top is great, but not necessary (lids are okay if the weight is low)

David Ure

@familyguy

The ULA Ohm 2.0 and the Crown will have similar load capabilities. 35lbs will be too much for both. Regardless, the OHM has an adjustable torso (up to 4", I believe) by moving the belt up or down. That alone would be the deciding factor for me to get an ideal fit. The Crown in Regular is really a short pack. If you have what many consider a medium torso around 18.5" or so, this pack will feel too short. The Long is too long. They are missing a size in between.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Forgot to mention – I got measured at REI today by a knowledgable staff (finally) and I have a 21.5" torso and 31" waist. It puts me ever so conveniently in between most sizes…hence my trouble.

Good to know about the Crown in long. That counts it out.

The Ohm 2 is sounding more and more like what I need. How breathable is the back? I know it's nowhere near an Exos in that category, but is it pretty bad in the summer heat and humidity?

I'm also wondering what other adjustable cottage packs are out there that I haven't thought of.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools