Topic

JMT Shelter: Duomid or Grace Duo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) JMT Shelter: Duomid or Grace Duo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

I'll be taking a two week hike on the JMT this summer, about 2nd week of July. My main shelter here in the PNW is my beloved sunny-yellow sil Duomid; at 6'4" 220, using two poles in an inverted V, it offers me the space I need, especially in inclement weather.

However, for the JMT, I'll need to add a solo innernet (sil floor) plus a Bearvault 450. That's nearly another 3lbs. So it got me to wondering if I should re-consider the Duomid. Perhaps a cuben Grace Duo would be the shelter to invest in for this trip (with a serenity). And of course, using it for my main summer shelter afterwards.

I used to have a 8×10 sil tarp. I enjoyed it when all it was needed for was to slip under just before I crashed, but as a big guy, I didn't like the crawling & cramped quarters when the weathered soured and I had to pitch it low.

But this will be my longest hike, with more base weight than I'd like, and so I thought I'd ask those of you who have been on the trail this time of year, starting around July 12th or so. Typically, would it be better to bring the Duo and quit thinking about that extra weight. Or invest in a cuben Grace Duo and save some weight (and hope the weather shines on)?

As always, any thoughts are appreciated.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Check out the zpacks solo plus, about 11 ounces with bug netting, add a poncho groundsheet or even use some polycro.

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

Michael

Yeah, I've looked at the Hexamid Long ever since it came out, and think it's a great option, even came close to pulling the trigger, but again, I'm worried that the 29" entry might prove to be too small to enjoy getting in and out of. And yet, I always find myself re-considering. Thx for the suggestion

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm not quite 6'4" but I'm about 6'1" and own the Hexamid Solo Plus. I had the same concern when I bought it, thought it might be a pain to have to climb in and out of. But, it really hasn't been a problem at all for me, in fact it doesn't even cross my mind when I take it out.

Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

I don't think you'll need a bugnet as long as you camp at higher elevations. There are much better views to be had above treeline anyway.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

If you're going to spend money on a new shaped tarp, bite the bullet and get a cuben Duo! You already know the Duo works for you, and the cuben version is a nice light package. I know I wouldn't trade mine!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Go with the Grace Duo with a bugshelter so you can sleep under the stars on warm clear night. Yama Mountain Gear 2.0 Bug Shelter

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I've used

Grace Duo with Katabatic Bivy first week of August
    Solomid and polycro sheet only mid September
    Trailstart and tyvek mid September
    Variety of tents on August-Sept trips

All worked good. Kinda depends on the elevations of your campsites. On the August trip I had bugs in the late afternoon, but they were gone by dark. If it was me I would take the Duomid, groundsheet and head net. Probably will not need any bug protection after dark. I would then use the money on a Bearikade.

It also depends on what is important to you. I know a lot of people like the zpacks Hexmid, but after seeing one last summer I wouldn't touch it. Great shelter quality, but the thought of getting in and out of that thing is not something that interest me. Could I do it. Sure, but not gracefully.

However your can't go wrong with the Grace Duo. No right answer

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

Man-O-Man, thanks for the suggestions.

Jay, thanks for the photo. Always something fine about a well pitched tarp. I don't own any cuben shelters so this might be the time to take the plunge.

But first I'll make sure to map out my camps and their elevations before making final decisions.

Thx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools