Topic

moleskin vs leukotape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) moleskin vs leukotape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Does moleskin have any advantage over leukotape?

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

A roll of Leukotape lasts a LONG time. When I was training to run a 50K ultra trail marathon, I totally depended on this stuff, and it served me well.

Leukotape and a small bottle of Tincture of Benzoin are my "go to" blister prevention and treatment items.

I may drop a card of mole foam in my 1st aid kit just in case things get bad, but I don't bother with the moleskin any longer.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I would be careful putting leukotape on open blisters.. it is extremely sticky stuff so taking it off after might not be very fun. I guess it would be motivation to cover up any hot spots before they got to that point.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I have no idea what leukotape is and I've always found moleskin to be useless. In 2004 while breaking-in some *veyr* stiff mountaineering boots, I grabbed some Hypafix tape from my FAK one time and it's now become my go-to blister tape. It's a very thin perforated tape [i.e. breathable, which is the downfall of most tapes] that contours well to your feet etc. If I had an open blister, I'd attach a portion of a Telfa pad first. If applied properly [e.g. for a heel, I'd first apply a 4" piece horizontally along the back of my heel and then another 5-6" vertical piece starting under my heel and terminating on my achilles tendon]. Because it's so thin, you can use larger pieces which puts less strain on the adhesive. Worth a try, I wouldn't use anything else. I'd even apply the tape on the night before I'd leave. Adhesion is best when feet are warm and dry. It's good for first aid too.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

For me it's: one of those blister 'band-aids'–which adhere very well to your feet–followed by a leukotape wrap. Even after soaking my feet in a river etc. this combination will usually last for days. For a really painful blister I've even added a molefoam with a diamond cut out of its center and placed over the blister area. Pretty darn effective.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Leuko, if put on well can last over a week while hiking, including bathing.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Leuko works best as a preventative. You do have to be careful with the longer distances with them. It you have it attached to your toenail, the movement of your toes will pull on the toenail and cause it to blacken.

If you have a full blown blister, don't use Leuko. It will just pull off the skin once you go to take it off.
    However, if you take care of your blisters as soon as they go from hot spot to blister, the best thing to do is to drain the blister on the bottom from where gravity will drain it out.
    Make sure the hole isn't so tiny that it will heal over quickly.

You than use the Leuko using a piece large enough to cover the blister and enough around the outside as to not come off. But you don’t cover the hole.
    You can put something else over the hole to keep it clean as long as it is still able to drain.

Moleskin on the pads of your feet (if they usually blister) covered with a layer of Leuko over them works great as well.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

" I have no idea what leukotape is … "

leukotape is that pretty stuff the beach volleyball girls were wearing all over their bodies at the Olympics last summer.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

That is kinesio tape, it features one way stretch, heat activated adhesive, and a great texture making it suitable for toes and other difficult areas.

Leukotape is no stretch, zinc oxide adhesive. It bonds with skin the best, but is much less forgiving.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

thankyou !
    for some reason I thought Leukotape was a specific brand of kinesio.

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

So does anybody use kinesio tape for blister prevention/treatment?

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

"So does anybody use kinesio tape for blister prevention/treatment?"

vonHoff does and seems to like it better than Luekotape

http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/Taping-for-Blisters.html

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

+1 for what Jake D. said,

"I would be careful putting leukotape on open blisters."

That being said, my method is to use a gauze pad with antibiotic ointment on the side facing the blister. After draining the blister using a sterilized "instrument" I stick the gauze pad in place over the blister using the antibiotic ointment to hold it in place until I can apply the Leukotape over the pad. The tape keeps the pad in place and provides a satifying level of comfort without being overly thick.

IMHO and IME Leukotape stays put a lot longer than one should leave it in place. Blisters should be attended to at the very least "daily" on the trail.

I carry a piece of moleskin in my kit but rarely use it anymore.

Party On,

Newton

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

I've found moleskin to be ok but the leukotape is my go to for preventive measures. Did the SHR last year and as soon as a hotspot was noticed I taped with leukotape and put some hydropel over the tape. The leukotape will last a few days

Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

Duct tape.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools