Topic

New MLD Trailstar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MLD Trailstar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

Did anybody see Ron's post on the MLD Facebook page? What do you think of it (for those who haven't seen it's a new 'mini' Trailstar with 6' side lengths) and will you get one? For those who have a Trailstar already, do you think that this new one would be too small for two people?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131793047725/

David Ure

@familyguy

The only thing that gave me pause when using the TrailStar was the sheer foot print requirement. It is a palace for two and some gear. The new one is intriguing for solo use plus gear. For a 2.5oz savings, however, you might be better off using the regular one for two people.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The cricket is the mini trail star, this one must be somewhere Inbetween. Can someone post some info and pics? I'm on my phone and can't view the whole link on mobile view.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

MLD Prototype

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Well I've narrowed my selection down to either the Hexamid solo plus, duo mid, speed mid, cricket, Zpacks hammock tarp or this gem.

Cottage industry isn't making this process any easier.

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

The only thing that kept me from getting a trailstar was the footprint size. I'm almost always solo so I did not need that room but have always wanted its flexibility and wind worthiness. The previous solo trailstar was just the cricket fly. It was not a true trailstar and so it did not perform like one. I will definitely be getting one if/when they become available.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I've voluntarily redacted this post until such time that I communicate with Ron Bell and figure out where my calculations are wrong.

Regardless of any calculated numbers I certainly should have explicitly pointed out that "(all corners at or near ground level)" is a pitch that I expect would almost never be used.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nothing on the MLD site, and I don't do facebook. What does it say about availability?

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

No mention of availability Douglas. Ron made it for a friend as a prototype and he hasn't said whether or not it would become available.

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

Just a note — this is not available yet and may not be for quite a while. The facebook post was just asking for name suggestions. The one I like best so far is "Starlet".

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Nothing on the MLD site, and I don't do facebook."

Yeah, same problem here :)

Anyway, for a couple of ounces might as well get the regular one.

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

I agree that the regular trailstar would probably be the best for most. For me however, the footprint size was just too large for me. I'm excited that at least a prototype is available and dropping weight is always a plus here right ;)

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

The footprint size depends on the peak height and various options in the footprint shape / pitch configurations. Note also that in some pitches it is more of a seven sided shelter. Lots of pitch options is one of it's strengths.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hi Ron,

I have redacted the contents of that post.

And yes, different pitch choices will result in dramatically different footprint dimensions and shapes.

Jim

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

Ron – looks really interesting to me – sort of going for a full on 2+ ppl shelter to a 1+ type of shelter.

having said that, since its not a fully enclosed tent – in my standard TS part of the ability to avoid foul weather has to do with its size – it allows me to be far enough away from the entry (assuming a 5 corners to the ground is really only an emergency pitch) so that i rarely get spray etc…

How do you see this change from 7 to 6 feet affecting the protection? did you consider making the side asymmetric?

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools