Topic

4 season tent with hole in floor??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 4 season tent with hole in floor??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

I just picked up an EMS tundra dome tent (3 person, 4 season) it's heavy alright but it was really cheap and I needed (always wanted) a 4 season tent. After I set it up I noticed that on one side of the floor on the inner tent there was ~12 diameter hole with material and a cinch line (like a stuff sack). I have no idea what this is used for. Any Clue??
    4 season tent floor

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

It's a cook hole.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

During really big storms, use it for cooking.

During really big and long storms, if you forgot your relief bottle, as a latrine….you might want to also use your shovel.

You should look up the article Jon krakauer wrote about waiting out a storm in a snow cave on Denali.

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

Thanks I didn't know my new tent came with a kitchen

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Well, it could be used to put your stove on a base on the snow, that's true.
    But I am willing to bet it is really a poo hole for (really) bad weather.

Cheers

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Ha! it's for the trolls to escape…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It's a snow hatch. During a storm, you still need to melt snow for water, so this is the hatch to open up to the snow. I'll have to remember not to share a tent with Roger this way.

–B.G.–

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

From backpacker.com

Exoskeleton frame allows fly to be setup first protecting tent from elements and increase structural strength of tent. Main tent body clips to underside of fly to ease setup and allows fly to be used without tent body in winter fast light assalts. DAC NSC Featherlight poles. Vestibules. Two doors. External Guyout System. Cook hole in floor that zips open.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

It looks to me like it was designed for ice fishing, but also useful in ways others have stated.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> It's a snow hatch. During a storm, you still need to melt snow for water, so this is
    > the hatch to open up to the snow.
    Ah, but the EMS Tundra Dome has a small vestibule at the entry. Surely you would get your snow from in there?

Cheers

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I like all these answers. It can be multi-purpose! Just don't combine Roger's idea with Bob's.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools