Topic

Thermarest Sleeping Bags Specs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thermarest Sleeping Bags Specs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Greetings,

Thermarest released the specifications for their expanded sleeping bag/quilt line. If the "buy from Cascade Designs" prices are any indication of what the price tag will look like in REI then it is a bit expensive for a 750 fill Chinese product. The Synergy Link connectors may be interesting but overall it looks like a no-go unless they drop the price to 1/3 of what they are suggesting.

The Antares 20* long is $350 & 34oz while the Zpacks 20* long wide is $375 & 20.2oz. The hoodless Navis compares better at $250 & 21oz but it appears that they are relying on the user to wear a jacket to achieve the lowest end of the temperature range of 25*.

Maybe I'm missing something. I have a self inflating thermarest from the '80s which still holds air so I'm not trying to dog this company by any means but I was hoping for better.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Well you aren’t comparing apples to apples there, but I get what you are saying.

Those are MSRP’s and as we all know the actual price will be set by the individual retailers.

I am happy to see companies like Thermarest and NEMO getting into the sleep gear market. This is their first shot and I am sure that they will have a learning curve.

I like the Navis concept a lot. Kind of a split between a hoodless bag and a half-bag design. It should allow quite a range of temperature use. I hope to play with one next spring.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

You are correct. A fairer comparison with the Zpacks Sleeping bag vs Thermarest Navis dance-off (assuming the user is going to wear a down vest/whatever with a lighter bag to improve the temperature rating) would be the Zpacks 40* Long/Wide 13.9 oz at $335 vs the Navis 25-45* at 21oz at $250. In that scenario the Navis wins the price war and Zpacks wins the weight (especially when you consider that the Navis listed at the moment is much smaller).

I was looking at this through the eyes of someone in the market for a 20* hoodless bag. There is definitely going to be a market for their product but I was hoping for something different.

Thanks for keeping me honest.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Oh no worries Ian,

I saw these bags (and quilts, as they have a couple of them too) at the OR Show. They asked me if I wanted to try one and I told them that honestly I am not the best person to look at bags because of being a restless side-sleeper. They said that was exactly why they wanted me to try one. They are supposed to be cut roomy enough to allow side-sleeping without compromising the insulation by pushing against it with hip and shoulder. Of course more room (girth) = more materials (weight). They are trying to offset that it looks like by using a variable fill ratio.

If and when I get one I will let you know what’s up. ;-)

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

BTW Thermarest made a big venture into sleeping bags in the 90's, US made and I believe all were synthetic. They had some interesting machines that automated the sewing process. I guess there was just too much competition but even more now so no clue how they will stand out.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I suspect that they will do all right as the majority of the camping gear shoppers will look no further than REI/EMS/ETC and will never know about the cottage industry offerings. Compared to what they have hanging off the rack, these bags/quilts will seem revolutionary.

As you may have guessed, I'm in the market and have been in a holding pattern to see what Thermarest had to offer. I'm sure you are right and the price at the store will be much lower which will blow my analysis out of the water.

I guess my initial reaction was "750 fill, Chinese, AND expensive?"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools