Topic

Continued Problem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but it didn't help. Mystery continues.

All,

Here's the current state of the problem:

When I first sign in and go to the Forum Index things look OK. For example it just showed me that there was a 1/3/2013 post at 13:05.

When I select the Gear Forum from the Forum Index, however, the Gear Forum shows the last post as 1/1/13 at 0931.

If I backspace from the Gear Forum to the Forum Index the Forum Index now also shows the last Gear Forum post as 1/1/13

Anyone else out there using Windows 8. If so are things working ok? I'm only having this problem at BPL.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Out of curiosity, have you tried different browsers to see if it's a browser issue vs an OS issue?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Honestly, it sounds like a caching issue, where the browser is showing you a cached page and not the latest. I also know from other websites I have visited and talked with their administrator that there are also settings on the website that can control how often a page is refreshed. Below is the person's reply about setting on their website. Thought it may have some relevance to what you are seeing.

"To reduce the amount automated page calls which were being done throughout the day (tens of thousands), I recently changed the process to check for recent forum replies every 5 minutes, instead of every 30 seconds. The home page has a timer which runs ever 5 minutes to check to see if something has been posted to the tab which you're currently viewing and, if something new is found, the Image icon changes to flashing red. If you then click on that Image icon, the tab is refreshed without having to refresh the entire page.

So, it just takes a little longer for the thing to flash if someone posts a forum reply.

Additionally, the home page does not have (and hasn't) an overall automatic "refresh" so page content will not be refreshed unless you press the browser refresh button or the refresh icon Image/Image above the content tabs."

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Looks like it wasn't a browser problem, or a website problem. It was pilot error (mine).

I had stumbled into an obscure area and, in my ignorance, changed the settings.

It asked "Check for newer versions of stored pages?"

(1) Every time I visit a webpage
    (2) Every time I start Internet Explorer
    (3) Automatically
    (4) Never

I had chosen Never. I changed it to #3 and I'm back in business.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools