Topic

Montbell jacket sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell jacket sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I have an ancient montbell thermawrap circa 2005 size large. At the time you had to size up due to Japanese sizing.

I'm thinking of gritting a thermawrap hooded jacket and am wondering if current montbell sizing is more standard these days ie should I get a medium?

Thanks!

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I would say probably. My XL EX light down has the following on the tag

USA XL
    Japan XXL

But that doesn't tell you if their sizing has changed or just the labelling of the sizes. Generally I find them short in the arms and torso and big in the chest.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

5'10", 165lbs, large build- Medium all the way. Large is what I wore at 6'2" ,195lbs

JK- 5'10" 195

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'd say their sizing is pretty standard (US)- I've owned three of their jackets and they have all been sized similarly (the Alpine Light is cut a little larger than the Ex-light and UL, but I think that is on purpose for layering in colder weather)

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I only have their down jackets and pants and a pair of Dynamo pants

I am tall with long arms and legs and quite slim.

I would say I find their sleeves to be on the reasonably long side, as long as almost anything else I have tried. The chest seems fairly run of the mill for width. the length seems standard as well to me.

Their pants are the best i have yet found, by quite a bit, nice and long and quite trim.

For me, they are as good as or better than any other mass-produced brand(haven't tried Arcteryx), even LL Bean tall L was about the same as MB XL, as far as long enough sleeves and baggyness of the torso.

There are staff and user reviews for many MB garments, check them out to get a better idea of the fit of the specific item you are considering.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I own the UL down parka. I am 5'11" 150-160lbs depending on climbing season. My chest is 36" fairly consistently but with a bit more mass in the back than the chest. I am a perfect size Small in Arc'teryx and most other companies and prefer the most trim/athletic fit that I can find while not restricting movement.

For my MB jacket I went with the Medium. The small fit, but would be stretched tight when crossing my arms in front of me, it was just too narrow/tight across the chest that I worried about compressing the down. The medium fits perfect across the chest but is a bit baggy in the torso/waist for my 31" frame than my usual, but not so baggy to feel too big.

So you'll probably want to size up if you're between sizes or on the upper end of a size range. If on the low end you can probably get away with the MB size chart unless you have a climber's back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools