Topic

Teton Crest Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Teton Crest Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am thinking about the Teton Crest Trail and wanted to get your thoughts. I did a week on the JMT in '11 and a week in a Wind River in '12. I am looking for more phenomenal scenery but a shorter trip as I may be with a group that wants 10 miles a day or less. Time will be an issue so this works out well as I can fly right into Jackson (but not cheap!).

I would probably have everyone start at the tram and hike North but I am trying to figure out the best campsites, any thoughts.

I do know canisters are required

I am thinking the first week of September because it looks like that may be the best chance to get away from work, but it should work out well as the bugs should be gone and so should the thunderstorms. I am guessing it will probably be around freezing at night and mid sixties during the day.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the Teton Crest Trail or somewhere else I should look at with easy logistics and breathtaking views. The group will have some experianced hikers but also some fairly new hikers that have never been out west (or higher than 6600ft). I am thinking for their sake, 10 miles per day or less and maybe just 4 days 3 nights.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Bradford,

Three books by Bill Schneider, a founder of Falcon Press, should help you find the perfect trip. The titles of Hiking Yellowstone National Park and Hiking Grand Teton National Park are self-explanatory. Best Backpacking Vacations Northern Rockies is a collection taken from his other books and includes the Teton Crest Trail and one hike I highly recommend in Yellowstone, the Bechler River trail. The Bechler might suit your group perfectly. It's 30 miles but fairly easy as it more or less follows the river downstream all the way, crosses the Continental Divide twice, and has generally outstanding scenery. The only logistical hurdle is arranging a shuttle.

I haven't done the Teton Crest but Schneider raves about it. Also requires a shuttle, though those are fairly easy to arrange (for a fee) in Jackson. Jackson has direct flights from many places but generally pricey accommodations.

Richard

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

So have you heard of the Teton High Adventure Route? I've read a few blurbs on this route, and would really like to learn a bit more.

Here is a write up that offers more…. http://www.backpacker.com/august_2000_destinations_wyoming_medicine_petzoldt/destinations/974

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

1. Fly to Denver and do a trip in Rocky Mountain National Park.

2. Fly to Denver and do a section of Colorado Trail

3. Fly to Durango and the Weminuche Wilderness Area. You could take the train from Durango to the Chicago Basin.

Direct flights to Denver are pretty easy since it's a United hub. They have frequent flights to Durango. I did the Charlotte to Denver to Durango trip for work several times last year. Flights line up pretty good.

dreamer
    BPL Member

@ejcfree

tetons

Bradford,

I have hiked the Teton Crest Trail four times in the last five years. Yes, I can give the trail a high recommendation, a classic. I'm enjoying seeing the different in the same year to year. I like it as a cool down after a big trip in the Winds. I can go on auto pilot and just walk and look. The trails are superbly maintained and thoroughly signed, as you'd expect in a National Park. Navigation and footing are non issues (assuming a bit of competence). You see plenty of people, even in the backcountry, many with little experience, lots of enthusiasm and big loads. Camping is assigned by permit to a zone or lake. Some permits are given in advance and some are saved for walk in. Parts of the route are outside the Park and you may camp anywhere in those areas. I'm a walk in kind of guy with campsite flexibility and have had unfailing luck here. There are established sites. I've looked at every single one and slept in quite a few on my loop starting and ending at Granite Canyon, crossing Hurricane Pass and Paintbrush Divide, returning via the Valley Trail. Some are bare dirt log squares that tend to puddle rain on one side and are a little small for shelters with lots of lines. They are all scenic. Have you gotten the map yet? I suggest you pick your lake or zone by your desired milage or availability and if you really want the best spot get to the zone as early as possible to have the best choice. Death Canyon Shelf and North Fork Cascade Canyon are nice. I'd try to be there for peak flowers, because they are so fantastic. Bugs are not as much of an issue compared to some others spots nearby, The Winds for example, due to unfavorable (for bugs) topography, not so many marshy spots. I hope this is of use and that you have excellent time where ever you go.

All Best, Eric

campsitecampsite

campsitecampsite

campsite viewcampsite view

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Bradford,
    PM me your email and I'll forward a tpo file of 3 routes Ryan Jordan has done of the Teton High Route.

Another option that may be cheaper (if that is an issue for some), would be flying into Aspen and doing a loop in the Maroon Bells – Snowmass Wilderness. If your group doesn't have any issues with altitude, you don't need lodging either. I was on the trail a few hours after landing. You can read (or view) my trip report.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools