Topic

Removing non-stick coating from Evernew

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Removing non-stick coating from Evernew

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I own a 1.3L Evernew titanium non-stick pot and wish to remove the non-stick coating.

I emailed Evernew as to the best way to do this completely and safely but got no response.

Anyone out there done this or able to give me the best advice? I don't want to remove much metal nor end up getting some of this coating in my water/food!

Thanks, Todd

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The non-stick on my 0.9 and 1.3 is becoming fairly ratty and I'd like to remove it also. It would be great if they offered these pans without the coating. My first bet for removal would be a rotaty wire brush on my Makita. Not to mention using a painter's mask and goggles. This would be fairly labor intensive and one would want to use a magnifier to make sure you get it all.

Bill Fornshell or Jason Klass: Any ideas?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks Denis. They do offer them w/o the coating, which since I do mostly Freezer Bag cooking now, is all I need.

http://www.rei.com/brand/Evernew?cm_mmc=ps_google-_-Category%20-%20Camp%2fHike-_-Camping%2fHiking_Cookware_Evernew-_-evernew%20pot

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

I just bought the non-coated .9 liter Evernew pot from REI and love it. I also have the non-stick version, but stopped using it because it seemed to retain the flavor of the food long after (and several washings) after I used it.

One note on the non-coated pot…it has developed what look like small rust spots on the inside. I've emailed Evernew and they requested a picture, but i haven't heard back from them yet.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

When I bought my Evernew .9 and 1.3 from REI they only offered coated versions. Now they have both pots in plain titanium. What the hey, it's only $92 and change. Free delivery to the Corte Madera store. I'll donate my old coated pots to the club swap meet. There I go again. Spend, spend, spend. Just doing my part to keep the light weight backpacking suppliers in business.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Denis, grinding the titanium pots might have been dangerous to your health.
    MSDS:
    http://www.titanium.com/titanium/tech_manual/tech16.cfm

Chad, I owm several Ti pots/plates, and they develop spots when heated; probably due to concentrations of impurities ("Ti" pots are not 100% Ti). Eventually, my pots discolor more uniformly over the heated surface, and I dont worry about a few spots anymore. I understand why the company wanted to see the picture. Spots are normal, 'rust' would be highly unusual.

Arthur Dickson

@browneider

Hand sanding with water wetted wet/dry sand paper will limit the release of particulates to the air. I would suggest starting with an 80 grit to get most of the coating off, then polishing with successively finer grades of sandpaper.

Dana

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Edit: "One Kind of" Discoloration (I can't remember the technical term) is common with Titanium heated to high temps and has nothing to do with impurities.

The guys over at tadgear.com (or maybe one of their suppliers) call it "striderizing".

I severely discolored my SP600 and Homemade Ti (Snowpeak) Windscreen during my Titanium Burn Test (to silence the people who thought you could damage a dry ti pot)… at points in my Ti equipment's life some of the discolorations looked rust-brown in color. But it was never rust.

I'm sure a metallurgist could explain 'why' Ti does this at high temps. It's similar to bluing of steel and has something to do with the metallic crystalline structure rearranging itself to some extent (that's not nearly as bas as it sounds… think molecules vibrating and moving slightlty NOT melting and moving around).

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll let you know if I hear back from Evernew.

eric levine

@ericl

Locale: Northern Colorado

Maybe not good advice, but I'd take the handles off, place it outside, and "fry" it off with my stove.

As I understand it, one of the problems with nonstick coatings is they produce haz. compounds under heat, and are not all that heat resistant.

I bought the "stick" version many years ago from REI and never regretted it.

Peter Gurin

@intheswim

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> one of the problems with nonstick coatings is they produce haz. compounds under heat,
    True, provided you get up to about 350 C (660 F).
    This could be considered somewhat ridiculous.

> and are not all that heat resistant.
    Blimey – what totally ignorant gossip column did you get that one from???

Cheers

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Boil 'em dry 'll do that. Just got to keep water in 'em while the stove is lit, is all.

Easy on 'em Roger. We all have our "limits". I mean, I don't bear bag my food.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Don't lose sight of the fact that there are two types of non-stick applications.

"Organic" PETF based stuff, and "Inorganic" silicon stuff.

Keeping your references straight will help keep the subsequent "information" relevant.

Scott Seigel

@svseigel

Locale: Rockies

Any non-metallic coating (including Teflon) can be quickly, safely and completely removed by walnut shell media at any body shop, machine shop or sand-blaster. Allow at least $15 per item for their work. THEN completely and thoroughly clean your resulting item as follows:
    1) Acetone wipe
    2) Alcohol wipe (ethyl, isopropyl, whatever)
    3) 5 minute Vinegar soak, dump & rinse
    4) scour with a slurry of salt & baking soda, rinse
    5) boil water in it and discard
    7) pour cooking oil into the pan and heat until it smokes, wipe oil out
    8) again boil water in it and discard
    9) again pour cooking oil into the pan and heat until it smokes, again wipe oil out
    10) run through a dishwasher. (Hand washing isn't as effective.)
    I know this sounds like a long process, but will absolutely renders metal free of contaminants. Steps 1-9 take 20 minutes (if you're prepared).

If you aren't concerned about trace toxins often found in body shops (old paint, resins, solvents, heavy metals, etc.), just hand wash your items and go (but remember that things in a body shop aren't purposed for food use).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I removed some kind of resinous coating on the outside of my Evernew kettle, with a small grinder. Instead of a metal brush I used a plastic brush and it worked very well.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"…on the outside…"

Well, good on ya.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"…on the outside…"

Well, good on ya.

I've used different sized brushes, both plastic and metal on a number of surfaces, including metal pipe elbows and other hard to reach surfaces. It can be a pain, but the right grinder and the right brush, it's very doable. I posted that I removed the "outside" coating, because that is what happened. My kettle was not a non stick.

Andrew Zajac

@azajac

Locale: South West

pot beforeclose up of cleaned up pottools

I gave teflon removal a shot and this is how it turned out. I did the sides of the pot entirely with a power drill and the larger brush shown in the picture. The little indent in the center of the pot required the small wire brush and a dremel tool. I used 100 grit sand paper and good old fashioned elbow grease for the bottom as I didn't have any appropriate tools. However, I am sure there are some good ones out there if you are willing to buy them. Total time for this project was about 3 hours. The pots shown are 1.6L and 1.3L stoic brand pots ($50 for both on backcountry.com as of this writing). I removed the teflon from the 1.3L pot and it now weighs an impressive 3.92oz (down from 4) with the handles. If I had to give advice to somebody trying to do the same is to start with power tools and don't be afraid to give it some oomph. I was too gentle with it at first because I was afraid of getting down the metal too much. I think I could cut my time in half if I were to do it again.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

'cause if it is you Didn't remove a Teflon coating….

"EVERNEW Non-Stick Coating uses Non-Teflon, Silicon based ceramic coating…."

Andrew Zajac

@azajac

It was a stoic brand pot

Andrew Zajac

@azajac

Just checked with backcountry and it is indeed a non name brand teflon coating

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The best way to tell if the coating is toxic is to throw the questionable pot into the middle of a deep lake. If it sinks then it's non toxic and if it floats then it's toxic. Actually….. I'm thinking about witches…… never mind.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools