Topic

Adding doors to MYOG Nightwing – Or just add a bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding doors to MYOG Nightwing – Or just add a bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I recently made a Nightwing Tarp from SMD out of sil – http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/make-your-own-gear/night-wing.html

Would full doors suffice for protection from rain if I have a down quilt? Or should I just get a bivy? Doors seem like they would be lighter, but I don't want to end up with a wet bag if the wind and rain pick up.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

The main problem with a tarp is sliding out from under it. Most backpacking country is verticalish. Doors don't help much with that. Some like a bivies for that reason, and they have good arguments in favor. I personally prefer to save the weight and pick camping spots more carefully. As for blowing rain, you can mitigate it by lowering the tarp's pitch

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools