Topic

One Pack Frame-Multiple Pack Bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear One Pack Frame-Multiple Pack Bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've noticed that it is quite easy to mount different bags on my myog pack frame. I've done this to test out various combos.

I've evolved to using one bag/frame combo for everything but I'm curious. Do any of you use one frame but change the bag depending on length and nature of your trip? (e.g. day hike, grocery shopping or week long backpack)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

It's a cool concept, but for me I seem to like the simplicity of one bag with shoulder straps, where I just stuff everything in vertically and away I go.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

I haven't made my own backpack yet, but I have been thinking about it. When I finally make one I think I'll copy Daryl's frame, but hang multiple drybags to it. That way everything is organised and you can easily change setup as your food supplies become less or if you make a daytrip from basecamp.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

I haven't made my own backpack yet, but I have been thinking about it. When I finally make one I think I'll copy your frame, but hang multiple drybags to it. That way everything is organised and you can easily change setup as your food supplies become less or if you make a daytrip from basecamp.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

Sorry about the double post. The site was acting weird.

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

I prefer to have the best setup for each situation. For a dayhike or even a weekend I don't need a framed backpack. In fact I use my good old G4 (no frame)for any week long trips. For #30 or more I'd prefer a framed pack. I'm usually way under that for any trip though.

I like to match my pack/volume to my intended use. I like a simple shoulder straped bag for dayhikes, G5 for weekends, G4 for a week long.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I dissected an old Jansport aluminum frame with that in mind, with the idea of using waterproof stuff sacks rather than a pack bag. The trick is finding a good way to attach the stuff sacks without adding a lot of weight.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

"trick is finding a good way to attach the stuff sacks without adding a lot of weight"

I agree. Hard to beat the weight/efficiency of one big bag.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west
    James Cuppy

@kentuckian

I use an old Kelty Trekker external frame with Sea to Summit eVac dry sacks instead of the original heavier Kelty bag. I made one vertical and two horizontal ½” wide straps to lash the dry sack to the frame. The long strap that I use in the vertical position doubles as my camp tree strap for hanging gear for easy access.

For multi day winter trips, I use a 65L dry sack(pictured). For summer I use a 35 liter dry sack. The system works great. The frame, dry sack, straps and water bladder sack runs just under 3 pounds.

I love that my pack always fits no matter what I have strapped to it.

Kelty frame w/65L dry sack

Front view...

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I use a LuxuryLite frame with a large GG bag attached. The whole set up comes in at around 2 1/2 lbs. You could attach any bag that has straps to the LL frame. Works great for me. Oh, and this frame is terrific for carrying a bear canister on the lower 'lip'.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

The trick is finding a good way to attach the stuff sacks without adding a lot of weight.

Try these drysacks from Exped.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Miguel,

Those ulv bags provide a lot of bag for the weight. Pretty cool.

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

"I love that my pack always fits no matter what I have strapped to it."

James,

I hadn't really clarified my thinking on the issue until I read your post. I think this is probably the biggest plus for the one frame-multiple bag concept.

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

David,

Thanks for the reminder about your modular pack. It is a very sophisticated application of the concept.

If I was awaiting rescue and you showed up with all that gear it would be very reassuring.

Daryl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools