Topic

Question about “true rating” of MontBell SS UL #1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question about “true rating” of MontBell SS UL #1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

They market it as a "15deg F" bag.

[EN TESTED]26˚F/ -3˚C(Comfort)、15˚F/ -9˚C(Lower Limit)、-19˚F/ -28˚C(Extreme*)

Given that they call it "comfort female / comfort male / extreme female" all in base-layers, on their description page, would you (personally) use it at -11F in the (non-severe alpine) snow? Is it realistic to get another 25deg while sleeping out of more layers or would you opt to go ahead an rent a warmer bag? (I'm guessing the latter, but I am curious how far the general consensus is on pushing a bag's rating. )

And at that point, do you forgo the tent and just use a snow cave to keep the ambient up? :P

Thanks!

-mox

The Bag
    Their definitions for the EN ratings

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

add another overbag to get another 15-20F … then add vbl and clothing

trying to get -11F out of a 15F bag is quite a stretch … at those temps you have no margin for error

David Ure

@familyguy

I have always found MB bags optimistic with respect to their warmth rating, despite the restrictions of EN testing. Having said that, Eric is right. Personally, in winter conditions I want a bag that is rated to the expected temps, lest you get into a situation that causes hypothermia or worse. Extreme cold is not an environment to try out some UL tactics that may or may not work for you.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Ure: I have always found MB bags optimistic with respect to their warmth rating, despite the restrictions of EN testing.

+1

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

"I have always found MB bags optimistic with respect to their warmth rating, despite the restrictions of EN testing."

Also agree. I am a Montbell retailer, (and Valandre) and have tested several of their bags and jackets. While I like their design, I have been disappointed in their warmth ratings as David stated.

I suspect that it could be due to the use of immature down, but that is only a guess.

Valandre', by comparison, uses mature goose down, and I have found their ratings to be spot on.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

SS UL #1, I don't know, but I have two MB bags — UL down #3 and the Thermal Sheet — and I find them spot on at 30 and 50F respectively. I always sleep wearing long silk base layer plus liner socks — for comfort and to keep body oil / grime away from the bags.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools