Topic

Dependable, light base-plate compass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dependable, light base-plate compass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The bubble does not matter. If anything, it will help you keep the compass level. It will not afect the accuracy.

Cheers

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

If you have a bubble now, it will only get bigger as you go higher in altitude.

If you want a really good compass, look up "Moscow Compass".

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Well after keeping the compass in a warm room, the bubble disappeared. So I'm keeping it. The arrow turns pretty fast. I think for that size of compasses they use another liquid (distilled water maybe?)

Thanks you guys for your help. My next compass will be that small Ranger if I'll plan more off-trail.

Jon Denham

@jmden

…and appears only available in the UK/Europe from a quick Google search.

One of many such online stores found: http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/.silva-ranger-sl-compass_7318860349522.htm

Hard to beat for a very small, lightweight sighting compass. Been carrying one for 20 years+.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I just purchased this for the SAR academy a few months ago. So far this compass is working well for me with the exception that the inclinometer keeps sticking. Several other students are using this compass without this problem so I figure mine is a lemon. Fortunately I bought it at REI so I'm returning it later today in exchange for another MC2.

I wanted the mirror for signaling, for removing debris from my eye, shooting precise azimuths, etc. It's a luxury feature and by no means necessary. If you don't need the mirror, then the Suunto M3 looks really nice.

I read and observed on Youtube some negative reviews of the Americanized Silva compasses. They felt that the quality was lacking compared to the Swedish version. One guy had significant problems with bubbles and felt that his compass was inferior compared to others at high altitude. Many people use them and are happy with them and I haven’t touched one since the ‘80s so take it FWIW.

With my failing eyes, I really appreciate having the magnifying glass on the baseplate. I use this constantly. I like knowing that this is a back-up for my reading glasses.

EDIT: I somehow bypassed the first page and just now realized that much of this has been covered. Sounds like you have this dialed in (pun intended.)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"My personal experience showed me that I don't need that precise compass. For the uses I've mentioned above almost any baseplate compass is good. What is important that it should point to the right direction. That's it."

Very true and I can do the very large majority of my backpacking without every referencing my compass ala terrain association. Long as the needle swings and is accurate, anything above and beyond that is a luxury (assuming the user has the proper skill set.) This is similar in my mind to the great knife debate (Classic SAK is great but only really need a razor blade for 99% of trail backpacking adventures.)

I wonder if the bubble formed due to air mail?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

1. Adjustable declination

2. Bezel with 2 degree graduations (5 deg. is too coarse)

3. Mirror for getting crap out of my eye, popping pimples, admiring my beard, etc.

4. Inclinometer for avalanche work

The WINNER! Silva Ranger

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Most of the time Im following a crazy winding trail in the woods, up and down mountains.

Theres nothing to see and take a bearing on. There are no points of reference to pick out on a map.

If you lose the trail, you better know the general direction to go for you to intersect it again.

Thats all I need.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Lots of used-but-mint Silvas made in Sweden on the bay. I grabbed two starters last year and they are much nicer than the current Chinese production. I think I paid $5 each also.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools