Topic

Following the Rules in U.S. Forests?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Following the Rules in U.S. Forests?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Amen iceaxe!

Max, what reaction did you expect? Seriously, it seems you are just waiting for folks to tell you it was ok to do what you have already decided to do.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Jake D, I was never looking for support.

I was looking for information as to whether I was making the right or wrong decision, and I got it.

Greg, the only thing I decided to do was to ask what was right, and then follow it.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Ice-axe, I have no agenda. I really am coy! The average BPL poster seems to be a mid or late-age mountaineer who has years of experience. My first trip was in February (and I've since made dozens and dozens).

I have to learn sometime. :P

Ian Clark
    BPL Member

@chindits

Locale: Cntrl ROMO

Why recreate in areas with such regulations. There is so much unregulated country available out there. Nobody is forcing you to live back east, just don't move here I don't want to see you when I'm moving x-country in vast unregulated country.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Max et al,

I agree with the notion that some rules are an overly general attempt at accomplishing an outdoor recreation management objective – be it safety, environmental protection, wilderness experience enhancement etc. Often these rules need to be general in order to be successful, as alternatives such as education are often unfeasible. Banning fires is a lot simpler to communicate and enforce than training people to avoid using an endangered species of old man's beard to start their fires.

Out of this arises situations where someone has (or thinks they have) the knowledge or experience to accomplish the same objective without the inconvenience of the generalized rule. I think a lot of us here run into this. I personally would love to hike the West Coast Trail in the winter, as it would have additional challenges and solitude that is not present in the busy summer months. My understanding is that the WCT is closed in the winter only because the stormy weather (rain and high winds, there's rarely snow) poses a safety and rescue challenge for the park. If I am confident in my abilities to hike this in the winter and willing to accept the risk, should I hike it? Or refrain since its against the rules?

This is a tough issue and I don't think there's a simple answer to it. I will offer a few thoughts though:
    1) Make sure ALL the reasons why a rule is in place are properly understood. In my case, am I sure the WCT closed in the winter only because of safety/rescue concerns? Or are there ecological considerations as well that I may be ignorant of? Without delving into details, as recently as a year ago I disregarded a rule thinking I understood why it was in place, when really I was missing half the reason and thus inflicted harm on the environment.

2) I think we do have a responsibility to consider how our actions can affect the actions of others. If I hike the WCT in the winter and then post an amazing trip report on BPL, am I encouraging other less experienced people to head out there next winter who may be more likely to need rescue? Even if the trip doesn't have direct consequences for the park, I could indirectly cause environmental or parks management problems for the area.

3) Ultimately it's still breaking the law, so ethics aside don't do it if you're not okay with the penalty for getting caught.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"This is a tough issue and I don't think there's a simple answer to it. I will offer a few thoughts though:
    1) Make sure ALL the reasons why a rule is in place are properly understood. In my case, am I sure the WCT closed in the winter only because of safety/rescue concerns? Or are there ecological considerations as well that I may be ignorant of? Without delving into details, as recently as a year ago I disregarded a rule thinking I understood why it was in place, when really I was missing half the reason and thus inflicted harm on the environment.

2) I think we do have a responsibility to consider how our actions can affect the actions of others. If I hike the WCT in the winter and then post an amazing trip report on BPL, am I encouraging other less experienced people to head out there next winter who may be more likely to need rescue? Even if the trip doesn't have direct consequences for the park, I could indirectly cause environmental or parks management problems for the area.

3) Ultimately it's still breaking the law, so ethics aside don't do it if you're not okay with the penalty for getting caught."

Great post, Dan. About says it all.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Thanks Dan, that's pretty much where my head is at, but as other people have said here, it's really difficult to know when you're really aware of all the potential consequences of breaking the rule. I'm going to try and err on the side of caution, but occasionally, I'm not afraid to use my brain. It's my favorite camping accessory…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Speaking from an enforcement perspective….. it depends.

High traffic area like the Wonderland Trail, if you are caught stealth camping you'll at least be given your eviction notice, possibly have your day in magistrate court to answer for your citation, and at worst be charged with a criminal offense (assuming you are hanging your hammock on the tree housing the last known golden cockaheaded woodpecker). Same offense in Elk Snort Washington off of a trail that sees fewer than 30 pairs of boots per month during the peak season, you'll probably receive a warning. Depends on the area, the officer/ranger, and your attitude.

Too many variables to give a blanket answer but you are putting yourself at a legal disadvatage either way and I would suggest camping elsewhere.

For what its worth it looks like you took your lumps on this thread like a man so you're aces in my book!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Thanks Ian! It's an important conversation to have in general, I think. Everyone benefits.

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools