Topic

Gravity Grip vs. Thigh Straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Gravity Grip vs. Thigh Straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James Castleberry

@winterland76

Alpacka released the "Gravity Grip," an inflatable device that sits between one's legs and is presumably meant to provide some of the improved handling benefits of thigh straps without the danger of entanglement (however much that may or may not be). The Gravity Grip intriques me because, as Alpacka says, it is "clean and simple" (no futzing with glue!). The cost of the Gravity Grip $50, is basically the same as for thigh straps($30 Aire thigh straps plus 4 tieouts at $5 each), not counting the cost of glue. Weight is only 7 oz, which is lighter than thigh straps. Plus it can be used for pillow, seat or backrest in camp. One downside is you won't be able to fit much else, if anything, under the spray skit. Alpacka says it is designed for the whitewater spray skirt but will work with the "cruiser" spray deck, too. I don't see why it wouldn't. Not stated is how it will work, if at all, with the 2010 and earlier boats with the more rounded ends.
    Gravity Grip

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Alpacka was holding a lot of cards when I emailed them in October asking if they had anything new on the way and they said "not at this time." Kudos to them.

Seems like a fine idea. I think a lot of people will be gluing two plates to the floor and anchoring this to the boat, it seems likely that Alpacka is assuming this will be common. Having it float down separate when you swim seems like half-a##ed solution.

mike curiak

@mikesee

Locale: Western Colorado

I'd guess they aren't planning on having people glue it in, as once you have it in place and inflated you are *in* there. Would be an entanglement hazard if it didn't immediately eject when you flip.

It's a nice option for those that want (lots) more control but don't want thigh straps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools