Topic

Making my 2nd BP, questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making my 2nd BP, questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

At the moment I'm making my second backpack (well at the moment I'm at work, but tonight I'll work on my BP again). The BP will largely be based on Gossamersgears G4 model, with some of my own ideas.

While hiking I really don't like to have to stop and take of my backpack to don poncho, doff windshirt, get camera, have a drink, etc. I want to take of my BP only twice a day: the first time when I stop for lunch, the second time when I stop for camp. Furthermore if I ware my lightweight clothing I do not have any pockets so I'm adding some pockets on the shoulderstarps and hipbelt to store some gear so it's quick to grab.

The BP will have a virtual frame which will be 8 sections of my TAR Z-Rest sleepingpad. Now if I take a look at my G4 the top of the hipbelts are attached to the BP directly under where the sleepingpad-frame ends. I'm planning to attach my hipbelts a bit higher so the underside of the hipbelts is level with where the sleepingpad-frame ends (I hope my explenation is clear).

This will shorten the BP a bit, but I think that'll make the BP fit me a bit better.

Now I also noticed that the shoulderstraps of my G4 are actually attached at the underside of the BP, where I was thinking of attachig them at the same place as I want to attach the hipbelts.

Now I wonder if that will make the backpack too short? My G4 fits me quite nicely, though the frame is a bit long on top, so I'm affraid my original idea might make my BP a bit too short.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanx Eins

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools